Faculty member, school honored by prestigious business journal

A study recently published in The Management International Review recognized the University of Miami and its faculty as some of the best in the world in the field of international business.

The Management International Review is an economic journal that deals with several aspects in the field of international management.

Research members reached their results by comparing the quantity of academic articles published in well-known international business journals between 2001 and 2009, in order to gauge institutions’ levels of prestige and success. The Management International Review released its results in January 2012.

Yadong Luo is the Emery Findley Distinguished Chair of Graduate Business Studies, and is also an undergraduate management professor at the University of Miami’s School of Business Administration. The Management International Review ranked Luo as the No. 1 international business scholar in the world.

“I was delighted that UM was globally recognized once again as the top school in international business,” Luo said. “The University of Miami has had strong research strengths in international business for many years, contributed by many colleagues in the area beyond myself. For myself, this recognition is nothing but pressure to continue doing my job.”

Luo also attributes this recognition to other characteristics of the University of Miami.

“The stellar faculty build research excellence in the community,” Luo said. “Geographic location and school support are also important catalysts for this recognition.”

The journal determined Luo’s top ranking after examining approximately 1,100 academic articles pertaining to international business published between 2001 and 2009 from three specific academic journals, including The Management International Review, the Journal of International Business Studies, and the Journal of World Business.

Luo is ranked No. 1 on the list of 25 other top scholars from different parts of the globe.

Between 2001 and 2009, Luo published 24 articles in the three journals. His research interests include global strategy, multinational management, foreign direct investment, global corporate governance, and emerging market-related international business. The study also determined that Luo was the only scholar to be ranked among the top 10 for the number of articles he published in all three of the aforementioned journals.

According to the Strategic Management Society’s website, a nonprofit organization aimed to foster research and practice in the field of strategic management, Luo has emerged as the world’s top research scholar in international management since the mid-‘90s.

The study also evaluated institutions based on their work in the field of international business. Consequently, UM ranked as No. 9 among other top 25 institutions, because 30 faculty members have authored or coauthored articles in the field.

When rankings are adjusted to account for articles with multiple authors, however, UM ranks as No. 2 in the world.

Authors of the study published in The Management International Review note that both the total and adjusted scores of faculty members who have authored or coauthored articles pertaining to international business topics have “enabled providing a relatively more complete picture of scholarly productivity across numerous institutions around the world.”

“This recognition may help us recruit some very best and brightest students to enter the international business related programs or courses,” Luo said.

Luo offered students interested in the field of international business some advice.

“Understand and embrace cross-cultural and cross-national differences,” he said. “Visit ‘foreign’ countries, including developing countries, if possible, to understand what is unfolding beyond the home country. Develop a global-centric, not ethnocentric, mindset, and foster an interdisciplinary orientation as international business always interacts with many other disciplines and functions.”

Sarah Hall

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...