Faculty member, school honored by prestigious business journal

A study recently published in The Management International Review recognized the University of Miami and its faculty as some of the best in the world in the field of international business.

The Management International Review is an economic journal that deals with several aspects in the field of international management.

Research members reached their results by comparing the quantity of academic articles published in well-known international business journals between 2001 and 2009, in order to gauge institutions’ levels of prestige and success. The Management International Review released its results in January 2012.

Yadong Luo is the Emery Findley Distinguished Chair of Graduate Business Studies, and is also an undergraduate management professor at the University of Miami’s School of Business Administration. The Management International Review ranked Luo as the No. 1 international business scholar in the world.

“I was delighted that UM was globally recognized once again as the top school in international business,” Luo said. “The University of Miami has had strong research strengths in international business for many years, contributed by many colleagues in the area beyond myself. For myself, this recognition is nothing but pressure to continue doing my job.”

Luo also attributes this recognition to other characteristics of the University of Miami.

“The stellar faculty build research excellence in the community,” Luo said. “Geographic location and school support are also important catalysts for this recognition.”

The journal determined Luo’s top ranking after examining approximately 1,100 academic articles pertaining to international business published between 2001 and 2009 from three specific academic journals, including The Management International Review, the Journal of International Business Studies, and the Journal of World Business.

Luo is ranked No. 1 on the list of 25 other top scholars from different parts of the globe.

Between 2001 and 2009, Luo published 24 articles in the three journals. His research interests include global strategy, multinational management, foreign direct investment, global corporate governance, and emerging market-related international business. The study also determined that Luo was the only scholar to be ranked among the top 10 for the number of articles he published in all three of the aforementioned journals.

According to the Strategic Management Society’s website, a nonprofit organization aimed to foster research and practice in the field of strategic management, Luo has emerged as the world’s top research scholar in international management since the mid-‘90s.

The study also evaluated institutions based on their work in the field of international business. Consequently, UM ranked as No. 9 among other top 25 institutions, because 30 faculty members have authored or coauthored articles in the field.

When rankings are adjusted to account for articles with multiple authors, however, UM ranks as No. 2 in the world.

Authors of the study published in The Management International Review note that both the total and adjusted scores of faculty members who have authored or coauthored articles pertaining to international business topics have “enabled providing a relatively more complete picture of scholarly productivity across numerous institutions around the world.”

“This recognition may help us recruit some very best and brightest students to enter the international business related programs or courses,” Luo said.

Luo offered students interested in the field of international business some advice.

“Understand and embrace cross-cultural and cross-national differences,” he said. “Visit ‘foreign’ countries, including developing countries, if possible, to understand what is unfolding beyond the home country. Develop a global-centric, not ethnocentric, mindset, and foster an interdisciplinary orientation as international business always interacts with many other disciplines and functions.”

Sarah Hall

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...