Executive branch looks forward to next year

Student Government (SG) President Nawara Alawa looks forward to working with the newly appointed SG executive branch members in the fall.

“I am extremely excited,” Alawa said. “We have fresh ideas, an elegant mix of old and new officers, and the determination to leave students and the university in a better place than we found it.”

The Executive Board consists of the three members of the “Inspired by U” ticket: President Alawa, Vice President Caitlin Giles and Treasurer Kenny Esman. Along with the three aforementioned elected individuals, the executive branch is comprised of five appointed positions, and two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court, and the new ECO agency. The ECO agency will serve as a green advisory board.

“We want to make sure SG continues successfully for the next couple of years,” Alawa said.

Here’s a look at some of the newest members of the executive branch.

Chief of Staff

Junior Melissa Guller will serve as the chief of staff for the Inspired by U team. She previously served as the executive-in-large internal under the Taking U Forward administration.

Guller will be in charge of overseeing the SG advisory boards and various Executive Board initiatives. She will report directly to Alawa.

“I think the new officers have a lot of potential to lead us to an outstanding year,” Guller said.

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Bhumi Patel was appointed to the executive-at-large external position. She was previously the co-chair of the Dining Service Advisory Board and a member of the President’s 100 and the Homecoming Executive Committee.

Patel’s role will be to respond to student concerns, and to connect SG with students and organizations.

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Michaela Hennessey will serve as the executive-at-large internal. She will be responsible for facilitating communication between the branches of SG and arranging SG-wide events.

“She can create the fluidity between exec board and the Senate,” Alawa said.

Hennessy has previously served as a executive secretary.

Executive Secretary

Freshman Alessandria San Roman will serve as the executive secretary. She was previously a member of Cabinet.

“Ashley Taggart recommended her as one of the hardest working members of Cabinet,” Alawa said.

San Roman will be responsible for organizing meetings and working with the Executive Board to accomplish initiatives.

Speaker of the Senate

Junior Parker Barnett was elected by the Senate to the position of Speaker of the Senate. In this role, Parker will be in charge of Senate and will serve as a link between the Senate and the Executive Board. He has served in Senate for the past three years.

Speaker Pro-tempore 

Junior Douglas Aguililla was elected by the Senate to serve as the speaker pro-tempore. He will be responsible for running the senate committees and will act as ranking senator. He will also be in charge of appointing the four committee chairmen as well as the vice chairmen.

Aguililla has been involved in Student Government since his freshman year in Senate and Category 5.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...