Campus’ hidden gem for study breaks, nature

If you are familiar with the John C. Gifford Arboretum, chances are you’ve either slaved away too long in a physics or chemistry lab, or you’ve strolled out there for a late night hook-up. But the Arboretum has more to offer than a dark secluded corner or a break from crunching data.

Located on the northwest side of campus, adjacent to the Knight Physics building, University of Miami’s Arboretum was planted in 1947 and named after Gifford, a former  professor of tropical forestry. The garden now boasts more than 400 species of plants. Many of the native species attract local birds and insects.

“It’s a nice break when you’re studying hard,” said Steve Pearson, the newly appointed Arboretum director. “The Arboretum is a very peaceful, beautiful place. Communing with nature is very relaxing and it’s a healthy, beautiful thing to do.”

And the Arboretum is not filled with typical native plants. The Maya Cocoa Garden has trees like the Maya Popcorn tree and the Ice Cream Bean tree, whose names are enough to make you hungry.

If you are actually hungry though, the Arboretum is filled with edible plants, like white and black sapote, dragonfruit and key limes. Pearson warns visitors not to eat anything unless they are completely sure of what the plant is, or they have a guide with them.

Over the years, the Arboretum has survived multiple attempts to remove the plants for construction. Most recently, the Coral Gables Commission voted in favor of creating a road through campus to ease traffic on San Amaro Drive. The plans, however, have been postponed indefinitely.

“It’s my hope that we’ve put the parking issue to bed forever,” Pearson said.

The Friends of the Arboretum host monthly meetings and feature guest lecturers. In December, they host their annual Arboretum picnic.

For more information, visit bio.miami.edu/arboretum or call 305-284-3973.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...