Campus’ hidden gem for study breaks, nature

If you are familiar with the John C. Gifford Arboretum, chances are you’ve either slaved away too long in a physics or chemistry lab, or you’ve strolled out there for a late night hook-up. But the Arboretum has more to offer than a dark secluded corner or a break from crunching data.

Located on the northwest side of campus, adjacent to the Knight Physics building, University of Miami’s Arboretum was planted in 1947 and named after Gifford, a former  professor of tropical forestry. The garden now boasts more than 400 species of plants. Many of the native species attract local birds and insects.

“It’s a nice break when you’re studying hard,” said Steve Pearson, the newly appointed Arboretum director. “The Arboretum is a very peaceful, beautiful place. Communing with nature is very relaxing and it’s a healthy, beautiful thing to do.”

And the Arboretum is not filled with typical native plants. The Maya Cocoa Garden has trees like the Maya Popcorn tree and the Ice Cream Bean tree, whose names are enough to make you hungry.

If you are actually hungry though, the Arboretum is filled with edible plants, like white and black sapote, dragonfruit and key limes. Pearson warns visitors not to eat anything unless they are completely sure of what the plant is, or they have a guide with them.

Over the years, the Arboretum has survived multiple attempts to remove the plants for construction. Most recently, the Coral Gables Commission voted in favor of creating a road through campus to ease traffic on San Amaro Drive. The plans, however, have been postponed indefinitely.

“It’s my hope that we’ve put the parking issue to bed forever,” Pearson said.

The Friends of the Arboretum host monthly meetings and feature guest lecturers. In December, they host their annual Arboretum picnic.

For more information, visit bio.miami.edu/arboretum or call 305-284-3973.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...