Campus career center succeeds on national charts

They Tweet, they create YouTube videos, and now students can even check-in to the office on Foursquare when seeking career advice. But this extensive use of social media is just one of the many services offered at the Toppel Career Center, which is topping the charts.

Toppel, UM’s on-campus resource that prepares students for professional success, was ranked as one of the top career centers in the nation in 2011. This high ranking was based on an annual survey conducted by Universum, a market research firm. The center competed against similar institutions at 20 private universities, including Duke, Cornell and Northwestern.

More than 4,000 students from these institutions were asked to rate the different services provided by their university’s career center. Out of the nine different measures that the survey took into account, the Toppel Career Center scored above average on eight of them.

“One of the measures we did really well in was career advising,” said Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center. “We provide one-on-one advising and let them talk about anything. We have a great staff that helps them provide them with that.”

These advising sessions are broken into career clusters such as sciences or media and entertainment, in order to cater to student needs, Garcia said. Advisers’ guidance is not only limited to careers and internships, but it also covers selecting a major and preparing for graduate school.

Other measures in which Toppel excelled include its assistance in teaching students how to network and gain experience, as well as its numerous workshops which feature panelists who specialize in a particular line of work.

The career center is also active on seven different social media platforms.

The campus resource also keeps alumni involved when assisting with job searches.

“We launched the Canes Career Club which is open to alumni and students ready to graduate to come and talk in a low-pressure setting to share ideas, tips and resources about the job search,” Garcia said.

The introduction of these new services has increased the amount of undergraduate students who take advantage of the career center from 49 to 61 percent in the last year.

“Toppel’s availability – where you can walk in at any time –  and also how they are constantly doing workshops definitely increases the hiring rate,” said senior Marlo Wyant, a Toppel peer adviser.

Toppel’s website, HireACane.com, also features information on topics such as creating a resume or searching for internships.

Jackie Salo

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...