An eye on hurricane safety

Hurricane season began June 1 and runs through Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere, identify these months as generally seeing the most storm activity. Though NOAA predicts a “near-normal 2012 Atlantic hurricane season,” the agency stresses the importance of being prepared for the possibility of a hurricane arriving on land. This year alone, “NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center believes that there’s approximately a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms (with top winds of 39 mph or higher).”

Don’t save any for the fish: Keep several containers filled with water for drinking in case water supply is cut off after a major storm.

Fill ‘er up: Clean the tub and fill it halfway. In case there is a water shortage, the bathtub water could be used for washing or flushing toilets.

Don’t be afraid of the dark: In case of a power outage, do not use candles or other flammable lighting. Instead, buy a couple of flashlights and stock up on fresh batteries.

Get your snack on: Although on-campus food service will be open as long as possible during an emergency, make sure to have non-perishable food items stocked, as well as snack foods.

Fuel the fire: Fill a plastic gas tank with fuel before a hurricane. If a power failure occurs, gas pumps will not work to fill up your car.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...