All-nighter benefits local nonprofit organizations

Joanna Horowitz and her mother, Jill Maland, react to the presentation for Jody's Couture for the Cancer Cure. Ashley Tesa, Michelle Dabols, Alexandra Goldman, Melisa Ramos and Shayla Garcia worked for 25 hours on the campaign with the help of Meryl Blau, the team leader. Maland said she was "overjoyed" and that the project was "much more than we could have anticipated." Marlena Skrobe // Staff Photographer

Twenty-five hours to create an advertising campaign for a local nonprofit organization? Challenge accepted.

On Feb. 17, 100 student volunteers pulled all-nighters during the School of Communication’s PhilADthropy. At the event, participants developed brand identities, promotional materials, and multimedia presentations for 16 South Florida nonprofit organizations.

The event began on Feb 17 at 11 a.m. Students presented their final products around noon on Feb. 18.

This year’s nonprofits included several organizations that dedicate themselves to certain causes, such as funding cancer research or raising money for marine veterans’ families.

The executive board members of Ad Group, a UM student organization, selected the nonprofits that would be included in the event.

Advertising professor Meryl Blau said that if the nonprofits interested the executive board, then the student volunteers should be interested as well.

Compared to last year’s 11 applicants, the third annual PhilADthropy attracted 98 applicants for 16 available spots.

Advertising Program Director Alyse Lancaster said many of these organizations want to invest in marketing and advertising, but cannot afford such services.

Blau and Lancaster served as two of the 16 team leaders. Each of the teams were composed of students with various levels of advertising experience. Each group had at least one or two copywriters, designers, and account managers.

Blau’s group of students created a campaign for Jody’s Couture for the Cancer Cure, which is a store that sells donated designer clothing for reduced prices at an annual Miami Beach event.

In creating the focus for Jody’s campaign, senior Alex Goldman, who is a copywriter, said she tried to relay the fashion-forward concept to a younger audience.

In an effort to reach out to this demographic, the team designed a social media campaign via Twitter and Facebook, and a set of posters and banners with phrases like “When Valentino Saves Lives, All Is Right in the World” and “Just Your Cancer Curing Clothing, Courtesy of Cavalli.”

Jody’s co-founder Joanna Horowitz said she was blown away by the students’ work.

“I was impressed in how they transformed our image from cutesy to modern for all ages,” Horowitz said.

Next door, Lancaster and her group worked with Brothers in Arms by designing a logo for its October softball game.

Brothers in Arms helps raise money for the families of critically wounded or fallen marine veterans.

In addition to drafting a logo, the group also designed a plan for a future website and promotional materials such as posters.

Brothers in Arms representatives Sherie Noblin and Kim Bancisi decided to implement the logo after final presentations.

“They did awesome,” Noblin said. “I didn’t expect this coming from 19- and 20-year-olds.”

Before beginning their challange, teams are required to listen to their client’s needs. According to Blau, students do their best to meet and exceed expectations.

“We believe in never over-promising what’s possible within the time constraints, but always try to over-deliver on what we set out to accomplish,” Blau said.

Blau said that in past PhilADthropy events, students have impressed nonprofit organizations so much that they have asked students to continue the campaign for a longer term. Other students have landed internships and jobs based on portfolios they’ve compiled with work from the event.

Last year, the Southeast Florida Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America liked the students’ campaign so much that the local chapter showed the idea to the national organization. From there, the Lupus Foundation of America used parts of the students’ ads in their national campaign.

Blau said that PhilADthropy is successful because it provides a real-world advertising scenario for students, and simultaneously helps community outreach.

“The event covers the entire experience from the clients’ brief to the final presentation,” she said. “It is free help for experience.”

Despite the sleep deprivation that resulted from working 25 consecutive hours, many students felt accomplished with their efforts.

“If you’re not passionate about what you do, then you should not be doing it,” Goldman said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...