A Cultural Snob’s/Hipster’s Guide to the Gables

As you begin your college experience, your orientation leaders bombard you with what to do, see and eat in Coral Gables. With seminars like “Getting Around Campus and the Community” and “Diversifying Your College Experience,” they almost guarantee you’ll find your place at UM and in Coral Gables.  But to be quite frank, you’re not buying it. You know you’re more sophisticated than the rest, and your taste transcends the frat boy sports bars, lame chains and mainstream hangout spots they suggest. Here’s your guide to the real local scene that your hip self has always longed for.

Aragon Avenue

The pamphlets, Intro to Miami seminars, and shuttle rides all highlight Sunset Place Mall as the go-to spot in town. But you’re sorely disappointed. Where does cultural enrichment fit in with the mall rat lifestyle? Instead of feeling like a tween catching a flick at AMC then sulking in Barnes and Noble, head over to Aragon Avenue for a slightly more erudite experience. Catch indie and foreign movies before they hit the megaplexes at the small, single-screen Coral Gables Art Cinema, then stop by the nearly 30-year-old, locally owned Books & Books where you can finally check off those Jack Kerouac novels from your reading list.

Coral Gables Art Cinema: 260 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables. 786-385-9689. gablescinema.com.

Books & Books: 265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables. 305-442-4408. booksandbooks.com.

Just the Funny

Why did the UM student cross the road? Get down to Just the Funny, Miami’s Home for Improv and Sketch Comedy to find out! The comedy troupe, which formed in 1999, has been performing at the eponymous venue since 2007. Catch them every Friday and Saturday at 9 p.m. for family-friendly shows and later at 11 p.m. for the adult version. And at just $10 per show, it’s a great place to take a date without ever seeming like you’re trying too hard.

Riviera Park

What used to be a plain ol’ plot of land behind Publix has recently been renovated to fit every elitist’s playground dreams. Larger-than-life statues of cute, smiling animals like frogs and dinosaurs are the perfect backdrops for your next Instagram masterpiece. Here, you can slip on your wayfarers and escape the world of mundane college life by sinking into the kind of book they don’t offer in ENG 105. If you’re feeling meditative, take a blanket and stretch out on the grass to watch little kids take on the miniature rock-climbing wall. Isn’t it just a metaphor for life?

Between Monza and San Remo avenues, Coral Gables.

The Local

It’s the name that draws you in. You feel like you’re part of a small crowd that you can only see lurking in the seedy underbelly of the Gables at night. All right, so there is no seedy underbelly here, but this hole-in-the-wall resto-bar off Miracle Mile is a mecca for the craft food and drink scene in the Gables. Order a jerky in a jar ($7) to go with your malanga tater tots ($5). If you don’t know what that means, you don’t deserve to eat here.

4150 Giralda Ave., Coral Gables. 305-648-5687. thelocal150.com

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...