100 Montaditos infuses Spanish fare, cheap prices

First was Midtown. Then came South Beach. And now 100 Montaditos, a popular eatery straight from Spain, has made its way to South Miami.

Just a few steps from RA Sushi, restaurant managers hope to grab the attention of University of Miami students and South Miami residents alike. With tapas-style dining options and Mahou beer imported directly from Spain, it offers what most restaurants nearby cannot: delicious fare at a more than affordable price (“montaditos” range between $1 and $3 each).

The staff at 100 Montaditos takes pride in the restaurant’s Spanish origin and the “montadito,” the small-scale sandwich behind the restaurant’s name. Exactly 100 of these appetizing sandwiches are on the menu and offer a unique array of selections, including grilled chicken drizzled with Caesar dressing and shrimp covered in mojo sauce. Though most of the choices include some form of meat and cheese, the milk chocolate and dulce de leche montaditos are perfect for dessert. And for those seeking healthier options, a selection of five salads is available.

Though different in pricing, the restaurant’s opening is part of a larger movement of Spanish-influenced food making its way into Miami. Just recently, Cavas Restaurant opened in Coral Gables and Barceloneta hit South Beach, along with plenty of live music and flamenco dancers.

Montaditos’ newest location was selected for the South Miami community’s vibrancy and its proximity to UM, according to Juan Dilan, director of operations at 100 Montaditos.

“We appreciate being around the university because a big part of our demographic are people that are around the university age,” Dilan said. “In all of our locations, we try to be in the vicinity of major colleges and universities as anchors.”

From Spain to Miami, each 100 Montaditos location offers all the menu items (including beer) for just $1 each all day on Wednesdays. According to Dilan, the weekly offer usually attracts large sums of university students.

“We’re very happy to be in South Florida and we look forward to growing throughout the United States,” Dilan said. “We have seen every week increments of growth in terms of the college students.”

For now, there are five 100 Montaditos locations already open in Miami-Dade County, but seven more locations are coming soon.

100 Montaditos is located at 5829 SW 73rd St. in South Miami.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...