Farmers Market makes refreshing return with new vendors

Heavenly aromas waft from white tents lining the walkway between the UC and the Richter Library each Wednesday for the weekly Well ‘Canes Farmers Market.

The regional goods, ranging from locally-grown produce to spices, breads, soaps and herbal products, were brought back to campus for a second year. While students, faculty and staff members enjoy all the vendors have to offer, the businesses seek to earn profits.

“Looking at the response we had last year, it was a hugely popular and successful event that students really wanted,” said Michael Piacentino, the former Student Government (SG) press secretary. “Even over the summer, we started planning on bringing the vendors back and starting it up again.”

Wim Forstmann, who was working at the local honey stand, has returned to UM for a second year of weekly business.

“The sales are good enough and the environment is nice, so why not?” Forstmann said.

While other popular stands, like Harmony Kettle Corn, are back for more business, new vendors have joined as well. George Sortino brought fresh, handmade mozzarella and locally grown herbs to UM for the first time.

“There’s a lot of people here,” Sortino said. “The key with Farmers markets is that, if there are vendors, people come out. If people come out, you get more vendors.”

Sophomore Allison Beece noticed more vegetables and greens this time around.

“Having this is definitely a plus because it allows students to go grocery shopping without leaving campus,” said Beece, who also noted that the Farmers Market benefits vegan and kosher students.

Freshman Nicolas Casaubon was on his way to the library when he stumbled upon the market.

“I’d never really encountered a honey salesman before,” Casaubon said. “Students get exposed to things that are sold here.”

The situation is a win-win, said Claire Tomlin, founder of the Market Company, which gathers all of the vendors and organizes the market’s events.

“The setting is so beautiful and it’s a good spot because we get a lot of foot traffic, which is really important,” Tomlin said. “Having that kind of support from the campus makes our job easier.”

Vendors accept credit cards. The Farmers Market is expected to make its return to campus soon after the start of the fall 2012 semester. It will be held on campus every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

May 20, 2012

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...