Sports briefs 4-26

College Gameday

For the first time ever, ESPN will be filming a College Gameday commercial on a university campus and fans have an input as to where it is shot.

Up until May 2, fans can vote once per day for their university at gamedayvote.com, either through smartphones or through a computer or the facebook app at facebook.com/collegegameday.

More than 120 FBS football programs are expected to participate.

The winning campus will have its spot filmed over the summer with students expected to play a big part in the commercial.

Football

Earlier this week, the team announced a new three-game series against the Florida Atlantic University Owls beginning in 2013.

Miami will host the Owls for the first time on Aug. 31, 2013 before traveling to FAU Stadium in 2015. The final game will take place in 2016 at Sun Life Stadium.

Although the teams have never met before on the field, they both have ties to former coach Howard Schnellenberger, who led the Canes to their first national championship and was the forerunner to helping FAU build its own football stadium.

Women’s Basketball

Miami head coach Katie Meier has been selected as the coach for the 2012 Under 18 women’s USA national team.

She will be joined by LSU head coach Nikki Caldwell and Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves.

The team will compete in the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico in hopes of earning a berth in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships for Women.

Trials to select the 12-member squad will take place on May 18 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico in hopes of earning a berth in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships for Women. Trials to select the 12-member squad will take place on May 18 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...