School of Education offers high-tech laboratory

The new Max Orovitz Laboratory in the School of Education may give students the sudden urge to change their majors.

The lab holds technologically advanced equipment, including a 3D motion analysis system and other complex research tools. This allows Education students to do complex research in areas such as aging and human performance, with subjects ranging from the elderly to athletes.

“The systems are very complex and comprehensive, so it takes a long time to get used to it,” said Hyung-pil Jun, a doctoral student doing research at the lab. “But once you get at a good level, the experience is going to be very valuable.”

The lab belongs to the Department of Kinesiology and Sports Sciences in the School of Education and Human Development. It’s located in the Max Orovitz building next to the alumni center; the building was renovated to allow space for about $500,000 worth of research equipment, according to Education Dean Isaac Prilleltensky.

“We mainly have three goals: educational, research and working to promote well-being in the community,” Prilleltensky said. “The new facility helps further the synergy of these goals.”

The 10,000-square-foot lab is broken into three areas of research: The Laboratory of Athletic Training, Sports Medicine and Motion Analysis, and Neuromuscular Research and Active Aging.

Arlette Perry, a professor and chairperson of the Department of Kinesiology and Sport Sciences, said that the response from the students working within the labs has been positive.

“They love it,” Perry said. “They’re learning not only how to use the equipment and interpret the data, but they’re learning how to get it to function and take care of it better.”

The lab is only one year old, meaning the current group of students in the program is the first to really interact with the equipment.

“They’re in it at the very beginning, this group, and they’re learning how to use it,” Perry said. “I think it’s a great educational experience for them.”

Despite the novelty of the lab, it’s already being used by the faculty of researchers and the students in a variety of unique research projects. Joseph Signorile (NEED TITLE) said that the new “top-of-the-line” equipment brings new possibilities.

“This has really expanded our horizons,” Signorile said. “You can see it in every faculty member here how well the research is now going and picking up.”

According to Prilleltensky, the costs associated with the lab are being shared between the school and the University’s administration, who he said has been “very helpful.”

They hope to continue that momentum by soon adding an additional lab component that would house the department’s nutritional research.

Signorile said he believes that the new lab comes with more chances to bring together the research and education that the department does. For the future, he hopes students are able to continue work that impacts the community overall.

“The medical profession has done a fabulous job at keeping us around a lot longer,” he said. “We’re trying to do a fabulous job at keeping us around a lot better.”

Hyan Freitas

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...