News Briefs 4/26

Happy Hour

The Lowe Art Museum presents the last LoweDown of the season in conjunction with Miami Museum Month and Membership Appreciation Evening. In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, enjoy live Mariachi music, light Mexican fare and cocktails courtesy of Bacardi. Beverages provided by Vita Coco and Vitamin Water Zero. The event will be held at the museum on May 3 from 7 to 9 p.m. Admission is $10 or free for Lowe members.

Senior Mwambo

The Senior Mwambo is an African rite of passage ceremony that marks the transition of black graduates from their lives at the University of Miami to advanced education and professional careers.The ceremony will recognize the accomplishments of black graduates and their families. Undergraduate and graduate students who have applied for graduation are encouraged to participate in the Senior Mwambo Ceremony on May 10 from 2 to 5 p.m. Cap and Gown are required in order to participate. Graduates must RSVP at miami.edu/msa/seniormwambo.

Commencement

Students participating in the May 2012 commencement ceremonies on May 10 and 11 should pick up regalia at the Toppel Career Center on May 8-May 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.  This excludes students in the School of Law and Miller School of Medicine. The official UM stole will be available for purchase. For more information, visit miami.edu/commencement, call 305-284-1824 or email commencement@miami.edu.

Off The Wire

Be a part of the audience during a taping of Off The Wire, UMTV’s award-winning late night comedy show, on Thursday at 8:30 p.m. in Studio C in the School of Communication Wolfson Building.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...