News Briefs 4/26

Happy Hour

The Lowe Art Museum presents the last LoweDown of the season in conjunction with Miami Museum Month and Membership Appreciation Evening. In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, enjoy live Mariachi music, light Mexican fare and cocktails courtesy of Bacardi. Beverages provided by Vita Coco and Vitamin Water Zero. The event will be held at the museum on May 3 from 7 to 9 p.m. Admission is $10 or free for Lowe members.

Senior Mwambo

The Senior Mwambo is an African rite of passage ceremony that marks the transition of black graduates from their lives at the University of Miami to advanced education and professional careers.The ceremony will recognize the accomplishments of black graduates and their families. Undergraduate and graduate students who have applied for graduation are encouraged to participate in the Senior Mwambo Ceremony on May 10 from 2 to 5 p.m. Cap and Gown are required in order to participate. Graduates must RSVP at miami.edu/msa/seniormwambo.

Commencement

Students participating in the May 2012 commencement ceremonies on May 10 and 11 should pick up regalia at the Toppel Career Center on May 8-May 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.  This excludes students in the School of Law and Miller School of Medicine. The official UM stole will be available for purchase. For more information, visit miami.edu/commencement, call 305-284-1824 or email commencement@miami.edu.

Off The Wire

Be a part of the audience during a taping of Off The Wire, UMTV’s award-winning late night comedy show, on Thursday at 8:30 p.m. in Studio C in the School of Communication Wolfson Building.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...