Summertime opens up doors, offers opportunities

School’s out and we’re now faced with three months of vacation time. Don’t spend the summer stuck at home all day. There are a variety of other options for students.

One way to have a productive summer is to get a part-time job. Many people don’t want to work during the summer because they think it may be boring, but work doesn’t have to be boring.

If you like kids, there are summer camps that you can work at. Having a little extra money on the side is always a plus.

Internships are another possibility. Although most are unpaid, there are paid internships as well. Regardless, they can be rewarding. Internships look great on resumes and  many times, help land you that first job after graduation. Networking and hands-on experience are key. Employers like to see that you have experience in the field you’re getting into.

Studying abroad or taking summer classes are other ways to keep busy. Studying abroad can be a fun and life-changing experience. Many schools offer summer abroad programs where you can spend a few weeks to a month in another country and immerse yourself in a different culture. In many cases you can also earn college credits.

Summer classes can help you get ahead or catch up. These classes are typically smaller so you are able to get more help from your professor.

If none of these options is your cup of tea, you can always engage in community service. Some scholarships require this for eligibility and it is a good way to help out and make a difference in someone’s life.

No matter what you do this summer, just make sure that you enjoy it.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in political science.