Nuclear Iran proves to be threat

I

ran must not get a nuclear weapon. It would completely reshape the power balance in the Middle East and put the United States in danger.

Iranian President Ahmadinejad is an unstable and vicious tyrant. When his people rebelled against what was thought to be a corrupt electoral victory, Ahmadinejad’s regime hunted down the protestors and silently killed them and their families. Today there is no dissent in Iran out of fear of certain death.

Since the Iranian Revolution in 1979, Iran has been a state sponsor of terror. Hezbollah and Hamas, recognized terrorist organizations, have received arms and money from Iran and have carried out attacks against innocent civilians with Iran’s blessing.

In 1983, Hezbollah bombed a Marines barrack in Beirut, Lebanon. Two hundred forty-one Marines died in the attack. Eleven years later, in 1994, Iran directed Hezbollah to bomb a Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Eighty-five people died.

More recently, Iran has set up training camps in America’s backyard: Venezuela and Brazil. They have supported insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan who fight against our troops. In October, Iran recruited a Mexican cartel, Los Zetas, in an assassination attempt on the Saudi Ambassador on American soil. Later that week, Iranian proxies set up deadly bombings in India and Georgia.

Iran has sought to weaken democratic states and has killed innocent civilians. Now, Iran is in the process of acquiring nuclear capabilities. However, the world community has almost universally condemned Iran’s actions. Congress and the European Union have passed crippling sanctions against Iran’s economy and petrochemical industry.

President Obama said that he would not tolerate a nuclear Iran. I have a lot of faith in you, Mr. President. Don’t let us down. The consequences would be too grave.

Jordan Lewis is a sophomore majoring in political science. He is the president of the UM Young Democrats.

Jordan Lewis

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...