Iran may economically choke U.S.

T

he threat of Iran is imminent. Most dismiss the reality that a nuclear-proliferated Iran will be a real threat to America. It’s not like they could ever drop the bomb on American soil right?  It’s not an attack on American soil that we should fear.  It’s our economic longevity.

Let us think back to December and March when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad threatened to shut down the Strait of Hormuz.  This would have stifled the world’s oil supply from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar and Bahrain.

The oil coming out of this strait amounts to about 40 percent of world sea-borne oil and almost 20 percent of the entire world oil supply. The mere threat to close the strait raised the cost of a barrel of oil by almost a dollar.

When a leader threatens to choke the world of 20 percent of its oil supply, he is not sane. Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, is no less erratic. We cannot allow such irrational leaders to wield nuclear weapons.

Contrary to other nuclear-armed countries like North Korea, Iran would have no check on its power. The United States and many allies across the world agree that Iran is engaging in nefarious activities. The U.S. and the European Union have passed multilateral sanctions against Iran in attempts to get it to halt its quest for nuclear proliferation but to no avail.

I paid $4.04 per gallon at the pump last week. How much will gas be with a nuclear-armed Iran?

A nuclear Iran will create political instability in the Middle East and with instability comes a rise in oil prices. The cost of every product transported in America is dependent upon oil prices. This is what I am worried about. Not being bombed, but being economically choked.

The United States needs to send Iran a stronger message. Iran must know that if they develop the capability to become nuclear-armed, the United States will retaliate with overwhelming force.

The longevity of our economy depends on it.

Vincent Foster is a senior majoring in political science and philosophy. He is the former president of the UM College Republicans.

Vincent Foster

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...