Tunnel aims to challenge views of current issues

Tunnel of Oppression seeks to challenge people’s thoughts and perceptions on issues dealing with oppression and hatred.

Before entering the Tunnel, individuals hear and read a disclaimer.

“The experience is not intended to offend or bring about tension,” it states. “The Tunnel is meant to be an educational experience and the views expressed in the Tunnel are not the views of the University of Miami, any department or the individuals involved.”

Tunnel portrays different forms of oppression through the use of statistics, stories, videos and acting.  While planning the Tunnel, we draw on current issues to challenge people’s views on what is happening in the world.

This year a Tunnel participant questioned a reference to Trayvon Martin’s case in the racism room. What appeared in the room was a statement saying, “17-year-old Trayvon Martin was visiting a relative’s house in a Florida gated community when he walked to the store to get Skittles and iced tea for his little brother. Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by a self-styled neighborhood watch leader, who told police he thought Trayvon was ‘suspicious’ in the mostly-white community.”

This statement sought to highlight racial issues raised by the shooting. It was not meant to levy any judgment on the case itself.

By creating a dialogue, we hope that people will begin to stand up to the injustice present in society and continue alleviating oppression.  It is this kind of dialogue that Tunnel tries to bring about, but the notion that Tunnel perpetuates racism is an insult to the integrity of the event.

Natania Widensky is a senior majoring in economics. She served as co-chair on the Tunnel of Oppression’s Executive Board.

Haley Gordon and Ryan Schooley contributed to this report.

Natania Widensky

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...