Culture

Drinking in moderation can reduce health risks

Alcohol is unquestionably part of the college lifestyle. What isn’t typical of a college student, however, is drinking in moderation. While excessive drinking can lead to obesity, heart disease and infertility, small amounts of alcohol every so often can benefit one’s health. Drinking one or two servings of alcohol, not just wine, every day can reduce risks of developing heart disease, strokes and diabetes, according to the Mayo Clinic.

But serving sizes are often disregarded. A serving of wine is 5 ounces, which is about half a wine glass; a serving of beer, which is 12 ounces, is equivalent to a beer can; a serving of liquor is equal to the amount that fills a standard-size shot glass.

Here are some options that won’t hurt you if you have more than two drinks.

BEER

Drink this: Beck’s (64 calories)

Not that: Yuengling (135 calories)

Fun fact: Beer has high levels of vitamin B6, according to the USDA.

COCKTAILS

Drink this: Rum and diet coke (about 65 calories)

Not that: Long Island Iced Tea (about 550 calories)

Fun fact: Mixed drinks dilute alcohol, keeping you from drinking too much.

HARD LIQUOR

Drink this: Whiskey on the rocks (about 90 calories)

Not that: Champagne (about 130 calories)

Fun fact: Whiskey has zero carbohydrates.

WINE:

Drink this: Pinot noir (about 120 calories)

Not that: Sweet Riesling (about 250 calories)

Fun fact: Red wine may prevent heart disease.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...