Culture

Drinking in moderation can reduce health risks

Alcohol is unquestionably part of the college lifestyle. What isn’t typical of a college student, however, is drinking in moderation. While excessive drinking can lead to obesity, heart disease and infertility, small amounts of alcohol every so often can benefit one’s health. Drinking one or two servings of alcohol, not just wine, every day can reduce risks of developing heart disease, strokes and diabetes, according to the Mayo Clinic.

But serving sizes are often disregarded. A serving of wine is 5 ounces, which is about half a wine glass; a serving of beer, which is 12 ounces, is equivalent to a beer can; a serving of liquor is equal to the amount that fills a standard-size shot glass.

Here are some options that won’t hurt you if you have more than two drinks.

BEER

Drink this: Beck’s (64 calories)

Not that: Yuengling (135 calories)

Fun fact: Beer has high levels of vitamin B6, according to the USDA.

COCKTAILS

Drink this: Rum and diet coke (about 65 calories)

Not that: Long Island Iced Tea (about 550 calories)

Fun fact: Mixed drinks dilute alcohol, keeping you from drinking too much.

HARD LIQUOR

Drink this: Whiskey on the rocks (about 90 calories)

Not that: Champagne (about 130 calories)

Fun fact: Whiskey has zero carbohydrates.

WINE:

Drink this: Pinot noir (about 120 calories)

Not that: Sweet Riesling (about 250 calories)

Fun fact: Red wine may prevent heart disease.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

University of Miami students and staff were given fellowships and awards that will allow them to pur

University of Miami President Julio Frenk joins ecologist Simon Levin for a webinar that will explor

The Miami Herbert Business School announced that a student-led committee will commission artwork for

A tireless physician who was always on call, Dr. Sayfie made patients partners in their care.

The temporary move to drop standardized testing requirements will hopefully eliminate some of the st