Drinking in moderation can reduce health risks

Alcohol is unquestionably part of the college lifestyle. What isn’t typical of a college student, however, is drinking in moderation. While excessive drinking can lead to obesity, heart disease and infertility, small amounts of alcohol every so often can benefit one’s health. Drinking one or two servings of alcohol, not just wine, every day can reduce risks of developing heart disease, strokes and diabetes, according to the Mayo Clinic.

But serving sizes are often disregarded. A serving of wine is 5 ounces, which is about half a wine glass; a serving of beer, which is 12 ounces, is equivalent to a beer can; a serving of liquor is equal to the amount that fills a standard-size shot glass.

Here are some options that won’t hurt you if you have more than two drinks.

BEER

Drink this: Beck’s (64 calories)

Not that: Yuengling (135 calories)

Fun fact: Beer has high levels of vitamin B6, according to the USDA.

COCKTAILS

Drink this: Rum and diet coke (about 65 calories)

Not that: Long Island Iced Tea (about 550 calories)

Fun fact: Mixed drinks dilute alcohol, keeping you from drinking too much.

HARD LIQUOR

Drink this: Whiskey on the rocks (about 90 calories)

Not that: Champagne (about 130 calories)

Fun fact: Whiskey has zero carbohydrates.

WINE:

Drink this: Pinot noir (about 120 calories)

Not that: Sweet Riesling (about 250 calories)

Fun fact: Red wine may prevent heart disease.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...