Drinking in moderation can reduce health risks

Alcohol is unquestionably part of the college lifestyle. What isn’t typical of a college student, however, is drinking in moderation. While excessive drinking can lead to obesity, heart disease and infertility, small amounts of alcohol every so often can benefit one’s health. Drinking one or two servings of alcohol, not just wine, every day can reduce risks of developing heart disease, strokes and diabetes, according to the Mayo Clinic.

But serving sizes are often disregarded. A serving of wine is 5 ounces, which is about half a wine glass; a serving of beer, which is 12 ounces, is equivalent to a beer can; a serving of liquor is equal to the amount that fills a standard-size shot glass.

Here are some options that won’t hurt you if you have more than two drinks.

BEER

Drink this: Beck’s (64 calories)

Not that: Yuengling (135 calories)

Fun fact: Beer has high levels of vitamin B6, according to the USDA.

COCKTAILS

Drink this: Rum and diet coke (about 65 calories)

Not that: Long Island Iced Tea (about 550 calories)

Fun fact: Mixed drinks dilute alcohol, keeping you from drinking too much.

HARD LIQUOR

Drink this: Whiskey on the rocks (about 90 calories)

Not that: Champagne (about 130 calories)

Fun fact: Whiskey has zero carbohydrates.

WINE:

Drink this: Pinot noir (about 120 calories)

Not that: Sweet Riesling (about 250 calories)

Fun fact: Red wine may prevent heart disease.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...