Virginia Key campus parking altered due to construction

When junior Joyce Yager drives to class at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science on Virginia Key, she can’t park on campus.

“You have to park at the Seaquarium now,” Yager said. “As long as it’s not too busy, it’s not too bad.”

Due to the construction of the new Marine Technology and Life Sciences Seawater Complex, there are approximately 100 fewer parking spots on the RSMAS campus, according to Will Drennan, an associate dean of undergraduate education for RSMAS. Students like Yager are opting to park at the Miami Seaquarium next door.

The 85,000-square-foot building will include features such as a wind-and-wave tunnel capable of producing category four winds. The complex will also have environmentally-friendly facilities, labs and meeting rooms. Construction of the complex is on schedule, said Gary Hitchcock, a second associate dean of undergraduate education for RSMAS. Completion is scheduled for summer 2013.

Until then, students must park at the Seaquarium, a five-minute walk to RSMAS facilities. Drennan sad that the Seaquarium has, in the past, sent guests to park at RSMAS during its busy season around Christmas time. Now in its off-season, the Seaquarium was willing to return the favor. Because this is the first year the Seaquarium does this, park officials are not sure how this will affect the busy season in October through December.

“Everybody knew this was going to happen,” Hitchcock said. “It’s been a goal for months.”

Though there are still several other parking areas on RSMAS, the small size of the campus – compared to UM’s Coral Gables campus – means that most people are somehow affected by the lack of parking. Despite the shortage of spaces, however, many view it as a minor inconvenience at most.

“I usually carpool, which is the best thing to do,” Yager said.

Though Drennan typically bikes or takes the shuttle to Virginia Key, he said he was affected by the construction when he recently drove his car and parked at the Seaquarium.

According to Drennan, a professor’s car was recently broken into while parked at the Seaquarium. In response, RSMAS hired a security escort to ease crime worries.

Drennan said that the only thing that students and faculty can do is wait.

“It’s going to be tight parking for the next couple of years,” Drennan said. “But it’s all for the greater good.”

Kevin Sands

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...