Virginia Key campus parking altered due to construction

When junior Joyce Yager drives to class at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science on Virginia Key, she can’t park on campus.

“You have to park at the Seaquarium now,” Yager said. “As long as it’s not too busy, it’s not too bad.”

Due to the construction of the new Marine Technology and Life Sciences Seawater Complex, there are approximately 100 fewer parking spots on the RSMAS campus, according to Will Drennan, an associate dean of undergraduate education for RSMAS. Students like Yager are opting to park at the Miami Seaquarium next door.

The 85,000-square-foot building will include features such as a wind-and-wave tunnel capable of producing category four winds. The complex will also have environmentally-friendly facilities, labs and meeting rooms. Construction of the complex is on schedule, said Gary Hitchcock, a second associate dean of undergraduate education for RSMAS. Completion is scheduled for summer 2013.

Until then, students must park at the Seaquarium, a five-minute walk to RSMAS facilities. Drennan sad that the Seaquarium has, in the past, sent guests to park at RSMAS during its busy season around Christmas time. Now in its off-season, the Seaquarium was willing to return the favor. Because this is the first year the Seaquarium does this, park officials are not sure how this will affect the busy season in October through December.

“Everybody knew this was going to happen,” Hitchcock said. “It’s been a goal for months.”

Though there are still several other parking areas on RSMAS, the small size of the campus – compared to UM’s Coral Gables campus – means that most people are somehow affected by the lack of parking. Despite the shortage of spaces, however, many view it as a minor inconvenience at most.

“I usually carpool, which is the best thing to do,” Yager said.

Though Drennan typically bikes or takes the shuttle to Virginia Key, he said he was affected by the construction when he recently drove his car and parked at the Seaquarium.

According to Drennan, a professor’s car was recently broken into while parked at the Seaquarium. In response, RSMAS hired a security escort to ease crime worries.

Drennan said that the only thing that students and faculty can do is wait.

“It’s going to be tight parking for the next couple of years,” Drennan said. “But it’s all for the greater good.”

Kevin Sands

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...