Sports Briefs 4-19

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball program had two of its players selected in the WNBA Draft on Monday. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams were  taken with the fifth and 17th picks, respectively. Johnson, who ended her collegiate career as only the second player in NCAA Division I history to collect 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 steals and 400 assists, was drafted by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams, who was taken by the Tulsa Shock, ended her career fifth in Hurricanes history with 2,148 points scored, including 272 3-point shots made, 104 more than the next closest Cane.

The duo becomes the first pair of teammates taken in the WNBA Draft in program history. It is also the first time since 2006 that a Hurricane player was drafted, the last being Tamara James.

Men’s Tennis

After closing out the regular season this past week, the men’s tennis team is headed for the ACC Tournament in Cary, N.C. The No. 63 Hurricanes will face the No. 29 Florida State Seminoles in the first round of the tournament on Thursday at noon.

Miami faced off against Florida State earlier in the season, with the Seminoles coming away with a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The winner of the match will then face Virginia Tech on Friday at noon.

Women’s Tennis

Coming off two straight wins over Virginia and Virginia Tech, the women’s tennis team is set to compete in the ACC Tournament this weekend. The team, seeded third – just behind Duke and North Carolina – earned a bye for Thursday’s first round. The Hurricanes will face the winner of Thursday’s matchup between Georgia Tech and Maryland on Friday beginning at 3 p.m. If the Canes are able to advance, they will play again in the semifinal on Saturday afternoon before the championship match on Sunday. Following the ACC Tournament, the team will compete in the NCAA Regionals beginning May 11.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...