Sports Briefs 4-19

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball program had two of its players selected in the WNBA Draft on Monday. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams were  taken with the fifth and 17th picks, respectively. Johnson, who ended her collegiate career as only the second player in NCAA Division I history to collect 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 steals and 400 assists, was drafted by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams, who was taken by the Tulsa Shock, ended her career fifth in Hurricanes history with 2,148 points scored, including 272 3-point shots made, 104 more than the next closest Cane.

The duo becomes the first pair of teammates taken in the WNBA Draft in program history. It is also the first time since 2006 that a Hurricane player was drafted, the last being Tamara James.

Men’s Tennis

After closing out the regular season this past week, the men’s tennis team is headed for the ACC Tournament in Cary, N.C. The No. 63 Hurricanes will face the No. 29 Florida State Seminoles in the first round of the tournament on Thursday at noon.

Miami faced off against Florida State earlier in the season, with the Seminoles coming away with a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The winner of the match will then face Virginia Tech on Friday at noon.

Women’s Tennis

Coming off two straight wins over Virginia and Virginia Tech, the women’s tennis team is set to compete in the ACC Tournament this weekend. The team, seeded third – just behind Duke and North Carolina – earned a bye for Thursday’s first round. The Hurricanes will face the winner of Thursday’s matchup between Georgia Tech and Maryland on Friday beginning at 3 p.m. If the Canes are able to advance, they will play again in the semifinal on Saturday afternoon before the championship match on Sunday. Following the ACC Tournament, the team will compete in the NCAA Regionals beginning May 11.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...