Sports Briefs 4-19

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball program had two of its players selected in the WNBA Draft on Monday. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams were  taken with the fifth and 17th picks, respectively. Johnson, who ended her collegiate career as only the second player in NCAA Division I history to collect 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 steals and 400 assists, was drafted by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams, who was taken by the Tulsa Shock, ended her career fifth in Hurricanes history with 2,148 points scored, including 272 3-point shots made, 104 more than the next closest Cane.

The duo becomes the first pair of teammates taken in the WNBA Draft in program history. It is also the first time since 2006 that a Hurricane player was drafted, the last being Tamara James.

Men’s Tennis

After closing out the regular season this past week, the men’s tennis team is headed for the ACC Tournament in Cary, N.C. The No. 63 Hurricanes will face the No. 29 Florida State Seminoles in the first round of the tournament on Thursday at noon.

Miami faced off against Florida State earlier in the season, with the Seminoles coming away with a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The winner of the match will then face Virginia Tech on Friday at noon.

Women’s Tennis

Coming off two straight wins over Virginia and Virginia Tech, the women’s tennis team is set to compete in the ACC Tournament this weekend. The team, seeded third – just behind Duke and North Carolina – earned a bye for Thursday’s first round. The Hurricanes will face the winner of Thursday’s matchup between Georgia Tech and Maryland on Friday beginning at 3 p.m. If the Canes are able to advance, they will play again in the semifinal on Saturday afternoon before the championship match on Sunday. Following the ACC Tournament, the team will compete in the NCAA Regionals beginning May 11.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...