Silent films make noise at Cosford Cinema

Silent films are making a comeback – the Academy awarded Best Picture to “The Artist” this year.

On Thursday at 7 p.m., the Cosford Cinema will play Charlie Chaplin’s “The Gold Rush,” a hallmark silent film. Sophomore Ryan Reeson composed an original score to accompany Thursday’s showing. Silent film shorts created by students will be played before the show.

The 1925 comedy follows Chaplin’s character, the Tramp, as he makes his way to the Yukon during the gold rush. Along the way he lands himself in a cabin with a prospector and a fugitive, and he falls in love with a woman who he mistakenly believes is in love with him.

“‘The Gold Rush’ is one of Chaplin’s most iconic films, where he strikes the perfect balance between comedy and pathos, which were his signatures,” said Trae DeLellis, director of the Cosford Cinema, in a press release. “‘The Artist’ and ‘Hugo’ have brought attention back to silent film, but essentially its resurgence has to do with its universality and the timeless films produced by Chaplin and others.”

The hour-and-a-half-long film is Reeson’s longest scoring project to date, and his first silent film. He was challenged when writing the music, because it carries so much weight in the movie.

“I’ve never done anything like it at all,” he said. “Silent films are probably harder to score because they’re so exposed.”

When working on music for films, Reeson said he composes music to compliment the piece, rather than overpower it.

“You try to stay out of the way as much as you can,” he said. “You really help the audience along on the journey.”

The score for “The Gold Rush” will be performed by a live orchestra of eight students inside the theater. The group will only have time to rehearse once and so it will be sight reading for most of the film.

Silent shorts submitted by students will be screened before the Chaplin film. For some students, silent films are more powerful than traditional films with scripts.

“I think there’s so much you can say without words and I think it’s always stronger that way,” said senior George Kaplan, who submitted his film “Reset.” The film focuses on isolation in new environments.

“It’s about the moments where people are not saying anything,” he said.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...