Honors program should offer diverse courses

Students at UM have endless academic opportunities. And our options are growing each semester. But in the University Honors program, I see room for improvement.

To graduate with honors, students in the program need to complete 24 honors credits, which is an average of one honors course each semester. However, with such sparse honors offerings, finding a class that sounds interesting or fits your schedule can be challenging.

Luckily, courses at the 500 level automatically count for honors credit, but those require prerequisites. As a freshman, I feel like I didn’t have many options while registering.

The solution right now is to “pink-sheet” your class so that, with professor approval, you can complete more assignments and get honors credit, but honors classes are not supposed to be about having more homework.

Honors courses should entail learning in new ways, being surrounded by like-minded individuals who are up for the challenge.

I would love to see an honors program with more diversity – interdisciplinary courses rather than honors-coded sections of a run-of-the-mill class. More specialized programs like PRISM would also create stronger intellectual communities of talented faculty and students.

The Honors College at the University of Maryland offers six entirely different programs with innovative themes like entrepreneurship, research and digital culture. Although I’m glad I chose to attend the University of Miami, Maryland’s honors program was one of the big draws when I applied there.

An improved and differentiated University Honors program would attract top-tier students looking for an exceptional education and set UM apart from other schools.

Lyssa Goldberg is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...