Staff Editorial 4/16: Take advantage of opportunities

In college there are two kinds of students: those who worry about their future after they party, and those who worry about their future while they party.

Despite the party culture surrounding it, college is supposed to be a balance of trying to get decent grades and prepare for the real world, but also meet new people and have the time of their lives.

Students who have realized this are one step ahead of the game. These students go out often, but have managed to earn a good GPA, learn leadership skills in extracurricular activities, create relationships with professors, and focus on their futures.

Many students make the mistake of slacking off. As the year comes to an end, you should be able to proudly reminisce on your progress throughout the year. If the year is just a blur of stumbling into your dorm room after a crazy night of bar hopping and house music, you hopefully have another year of college to make up for it.

The first thing you can do to better prepare for your future is to talk to your professors. They are your friends, not your enemies. Students should begin building relationships early on in the semester and keep in touch throughout the year, especially because professors have connections that can get students internships or entry-level positions.

Although professors are a key component to real-world success, it doesn’t stop there. Internships are vital to achieving that dream job, but those opportunities are not going to magically appear – students have to find them.

Not to mention, on-campus experiences matter just as much. Leadership positions within student organizations, especially those which focus on practical skills applicable to your career choice, are respected.

These are the factors that separate the extraordinary students from the average students. No one wants his or her resume, portfolio or graduate school application to be tossed into the mediocre pile. Therefore, do something in college to stand out, not fit in.

While the future may seem far away, four years roll by quickly. By senior year, students start panicking about not being ready to face the real world when they have had ample time to do so. Students should take advantage of opportunities as they become available.

Don’t wait until two weeks before graduation to get it together. College is not the end of your life, it is just the beginning. You can put the partying on hold, but your future isn’t going to wait for you to be ready.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...