Staff Editorial 4/16: Take advantage of opportunities

In college there are two kinds of students: those who worry about their future after they party, and those who worry about their future while they party.

Despite the party culture surrounding it, college is supposed to be a balance of trying to get decent grades and prepare for the real world, but also meet new people and have the time of their lives.

Students who have realized this are one step ahead of the game. These students go out often, but have managed to earn a good GPA, learn leadership skills in extracurricular activities, create relationships with professors, and focus on their futures.

Many students make the mistake of slacking off. As the year comes to an end, you should be able to proudly reminisce on your progress throughout the year. If the year is just a blur of stumbling into your dorm room after a crazy night of bar hopping and house music, you hopefully have another year of college to make up for it.

The first thing you can do to better prepare for your future is to talk to your professors. They are your friends, not your enemies. Students should begin building relationships early on in the semester and keep in touch throughout the year, especially because professors have connections that can get students internships or entry-level positions.

Although professors are a key component to real-world success, it doesn’t stop there. Internships are vital to achieving that dream job, but those opportunities are not going to magically appear – students have to find them.

Not to mention, on-campus experiences matter just as much. Leadership positions within student organizations, especially those which focus on practical skills applicable to your career choice, are respected.

These are the factors that separate the extraordinary students from the average students. No one wants his or her resume, portfolio or graduate school application to be tossed into the mediocre pile. Therefore, do something in college to stand out, not fit in.

While the future may seem far away, four years roll by quickly. By senior year, students start panicking about not being ready to face the real world when they have had ample time to do so. Students should take advantage of opportunities as they become available.

Don’t wait until two weeks before graduation to get it together. College is not the end of your life, it is just the beginning. You can put the partying on hold, but your future isn’t going to wait for you to be ready.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...