News Briefs 4/16

Memorial Service

A memorial service for School of Communication (SoC) professor Stanley Harrison will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. on Thursday at the SoC Reading Room located in the main lobby of the Wolfson building.

In lieu of flowers, donations for the S.L. Harrison Memorial Scholarship Fund will be accepted. The fund will aid SoC students in financial need. Send checks payable to the University of Miami to 5100 Brunson Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146. On the check or letter, indicate that the funds are meant to benefit the S.L. Harrison Memorial Scholarship Fund.

History Lecture

The Department of History Speakers Series presents “The Year of the Lash: Free People of Color in Cuba and the Nineteenth-Century Atlantic World.” Michelle Reid-Vazquez, an assistant professor of history at Georgia State University, will discuss her book on Monday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Richter Library’s third-floor conference room.

Town Hall

Updates on the Student Center Complex construction will be shared at a town hall meeting hosted by Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, and Dan Westbrook, the director of the University Center. Topics will include renovations to the UC Patio and construction of a new stage, current UC renovations, and an updated timeline on the Student Activities Center construction. The meeting will be held on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. in the UC I-Lounge.

Tunnel of Oppression
Tunnel of Oppression will run from Monday through Wednesday in the UC Ballrooms from 4 to 10 p.m. Tours run approximately every 20 minutes. There are 10 rooms with the following themes: Tools of Oppression, Classism, Religion, Human Trafficking, Education, Sexual Assault, Gender, Body Image Issues, Racism, LGBTQ, and Disability Issues. It will challenge your thoughts and perceptions surrounding different social injustices. Opportunities to get involved addressing some of the issues seen in Tunnel will be highlighted following the experience. For more information, email umtunnel@gmail.com.

Scholarships

Learn about applying for major fellowships for graduate study in the United Kingdom and Ireland Gates Cambridge Scholar Shamsher Samra. The Director of the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships, Kefryn Reese, will give a short presentation on the selection criteria and application processes for the Rhodes, Marshall, UK Fulbright, Gates Cambridge and Mitchell Scholarships. Tea and scones will be served. The event will take place on Monday from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Stanford Master’s Apartment. RSVP at prestigiousawards@miami.edu.

4The Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships is holding an information session for students who are considering applying for the Truman Scholarship. The session will take place on Wednesday from 2 to 3 p.m in UC Room 245. This scholarship is for those who are interested in improving the ways that government agencies, nonprofit organizations, or educational institutions serve the public. It provides up to $30,000 in funding to students pursuing graduate degrees in public service fields.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...