Library provides new study niche for graduate students

Graduate students now have their own study space at Richter Library.

The new Graduate Study Room is now open on the second floor of the library.

Located on the northwest corner of the second floor of Richter, the study room contains 22 individual study cubicles, for which a carrel study key can be checked out daily at the Richter Circulation Desk.

The study room aims to provide a place for individual quiet study, and is not meant to be a place for working on collaborative projects.

According to Graduate Student Association (GSA) President Amanda Price, the project was started in late 2010 and was based on student’s demand for a designated area to study and complete their work.

Most of the graduate departments within UM do not provide offices or individual workspaces for their students, Price said. Richter, a popular place for on-campus studying, fills up rather quickly, forcing students to find an alternate, more peaceful place to work.

“I have often wasted more time trying to find somewhere to study than actually studying, which is infuriating,” said Elam Ramasamy, a chemistry graduate student.

As a result of student complaints, GSA passed a formal resolution requesting for an exclusive study space in Richter.

“This is important because graduate students, especially those writing their master’s thesis or on the writing phase of their dissertation, need extended periods of quiet isolated time to write and they don’t all have that at home,” said Scott Britton, the director of access services at Richter.

In the future, the room will offer mixed seating areas and lockers.

“This is very much a work in progress,” Britton said. “We need the feedback from everyone as this develops and we will be able to create a space that is ideal for graduate students.”

The room can only be accessed with a Cane Card. However, law students and medical students do not have access to the room.

Karla Durango

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...