Sports Briefs: 4/12

Football

The Hurricanes football team will hold its annual spring game at Sun Life Stadium this Saturday. Both parking and the event are free to the public, with kickoff slated for 2:00 p.m. However, there will be plenty of events taking place throughout the stadium leading up to the game itself. The parking lots to the stadium will open at 10 a.m., with gates inside the stadium opening up at 11:30. The team will also be hosting Select-A-Seat for those interested in purchasing season tickets. An autograph session will also be held inside the stadium from 12:15-1 p.m. on the north side 100-level concourse. Fans are asked to bring one item to be autographed.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team has announced the signing of its 2012 signing class. The team will welcome Caprice Dennis, Keyona Hayes and Macy Keen to the team for the 2012-2013 season. Keen, a 6-foot-5 center out of Tamarac, Fla., has been ranked as high as No. 37 in the nation and the seventh-best center in the nation. Dennis is a four-star prospect who is ranked as the No. 47 all around prospect in the nation. Hayes is a 6-foot-1 forward from Alpharetta, Ga., who is ranked as high as No. 31 overall and the No.11 forward in the nation. Acording to head coach Katie Meier, all three are expected to have “an immediate impact.”

Women’s Tennis

Following back-to-back losses on the road against Duke and North Carolina, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team returns to Coral Gables for the final two matches of the regular season. The team will take on Virginia on Friday beginning at 3 p.m. before facing Virginia Tech on Sunday at noon.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...