Spend money on entertainment rather than steal others’ work

I went to the library recently to rent a movie I have been trying to watch for a while. I have been told “A Beautiful Mind” is phenomenal, and I thought to myself, “Why not?”
When I saw it was missing from the shelf, I went to the front desk. The library assistant was a young male, probably in his early 20s, leaning back in his chair behind the desk.
“Just get it off the Internet dude,” he said.
“That’s illegal,” I replied.
He just laughed in response. He thought I was kidding, until he really looked at me and saw the expression in my eyes. What did he take me for?
“Wait, are you serious?”
“Yeah,” I said.
Without a peg-leg, gold tooth and parrot, do I look like a pirate to you?
“Wow. I mean, it doesn’t even matter, it’s not like they don’t make any money. How do you get music? You pay for that too?” he asked with contempt.
“Yeah, or I listen to the radio, where I know the musician gets royalties for their work.  There’s no such thing as a free song,” I said in reply and walked away.
I wasn’t able to watch the movie I wanted and I was OK with that. Who am I to steal someone’s work? I’m not a thief.
Since when is it OK to take something without paying for it? It does not matter if the musician is filthy rich. That is their work. They spent time and money to create their product.
I need to spend money to reap the fruits of their labor.

Edward Burns is a freshman majoring in political science and broadcast journalism.

Edward Burns

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...