Students learn to balance, relax on slackline

Sophomore Kelsey Terherst walks across a slack line. UM does not have a slacklining club, but fans of the unique balancing act meet on the Green three days a week. Monica Herndon//The Miami Hurricane

Three days a week, Frankie Pereda and his friends set up their slacklining equipment in front of the Ashe building.

They string a 1-inch wide piece of nylon webbing between two trees, stretching it just enough so it bounces and acts like a long, narrow trampoline.

Then, they hop on, making their way up and down the line, trying not to fall.

Slacklining has become an interesting option for students looking to get away from the stress of daily life.

“Being relaxed is one of the main ways to stay balanced on the line,” Pereda said. “You need to be focused on keeping your center right over the line. With all of that, it’s hard to think about anything else.”

Though UM has no official club, passionate slackliners like Pereda set up weekly sessions on the Green in front of the Ashe Building on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The group has been setting up their lines for over two years.

Many of the frequent slackliners are also members of the UM Parkour Club and Rock Climbing Club who go to unwind after doing activities with those clubs.

Michael Greene, a member of the Rock Climbing Club, became involved after spotting some of his friends slacklining.

“I was returning to Mahoney-Pearson from class one afternoon, and recognized some of my rock climbing friends on the line at the Green,” he said. “I went over, tried it, and have been hooked ever since.”

Pereda, like Greene, became involved with the club last spring after watching members practice on the Green.

He hopes passersby will also take a chance on the line.

“We encourage people to try it at least once,” he said. “Many of the people that are regulars now tried the slackline once, liked it, and have been returning ever since.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...