V's Take

Dear V: I may have a fetish for power…

I had the pleasure of meeting the new Student Government president a few weeks ago. And let me tell you, it was a pleasure. Now I feel like I see her all the time, whether I’m walking across campus or at work. But would she ever notice me? What’s a guy to do?

Signed,

Attracted to Power

Dear Future First Boyfriend,

Woah there, cowboy. Let’s pull in the reins a bit. And I don’t mean those reins.

Are you into her because you like her or just because you’ve got a thing for a lady who knows how to take charge? There’s far more to a relationship than being turned on by a title.

How much do you know about our new president? I’m sure Ms. Alawa is a fine upstanding woman, but if you’ve only spoken to her one time, it might be lust instead of love.

I’m willing to bet my sex life that the schedule of an SG president is probably extremely busy. You have to be willing to accept that she might not be able to give you her full attention with all of the commitments she has taken on. Are you ready for that in a relationship?

Then again, there might not be anything wrong with being attracted to someone with a drive and passion for making a difference.

It takes a certain level of charisma, talent and people skills to be elected president, and those are definitely respectable characteristics.

There’s nothing wrong with saying hello to her while you’re at work or when you see her around campus. After all, she is your president now too. Take a look at what her campaign platforms were and strike up a conversation about one of them the next time you see her.

She’ll probably appreciate that you’re interested in her work. In fact, I’ll even do a bit of digging for you from the profile the Hurricane did on her while she was campaigning: the Spring BBQ Kickoff, a computer lab in Memorial, and something called Rub the Ibis. Maybe you can eventually find out what exactly that last one means, if you get what I’m sayin’…

Most importantly, stop the school-boy crush, and find out if you like her more than you like her new title and power.

How much does she “inspire” U?

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...