V's Take

Dear V: I may have a fetish for power…

I had the pleasure of meeting the new Student Government president a few weeks ago. And let me tell you, it was a pleasure. Now I feel like I see her all the time, whether I’m walking across campus or at work. But would she ever notice me? What’s a guy to do?

Signed,

Attracted to Power

Dear Future First Boyfriend,

Woah there, cowboy. Let’s pull in the reins a bit. And I don’t mean those reins.

Are you into her because you like her or just because you’ve got a thing for a lady who knows how to take charge? There’s far more to a relationship than being turned on by a title.

How much do you know about our new president? I’m sure Ms. Alawa is a fine upstanding woman, but if you’ve only spoken to her one time, it might be lust instead of love.

I’m willing to bet my sex life that the schedule of an SG president is probably extremely busy. You have to be willing to accept that she might not be able to give you her full attention with all of the commitments she has taken on. Are you ready for that in a relationship?

Then again, there might not be anything wrong with being attracted to someone with a drive and passion for making a difference.

It takes a certain level of charisma, talent and people skills to be elected president, and those are definitely respectable characteristics.

There’s nothing wrong with saying hello to her while you’re at work or when you see her around campus. After all, she is your president now too. Take a look at what her campaign platforms were and strike up a conversation about one of them the next time you see her.

She’ll probably appreciate that you’re interested in her work. In fact, I’ll even do a bit of digging for you from the profile the Hurricane did on her while she was campaigning: the Spring BBQ Kickoff, a computer lab in Memorial, and something called Rub the Ibis. Maybe you can eventually find out what exactly that last one means, if you get what I’m sayin’…

Most importantly, stop the school-boy crush, and find out if you like her more than you like her new title and power.

How much does she “inspire” U?

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...