Professor to lead Arctic expedition

University of Miami professor David Kadko has been selected to head an expedition in the Arctic Ocean that could lead to a better understanding of the effects of global climate change.

The expedition, which is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2015, is a U.S. Arctic GEOTRACES initiative established by the U.S. GEOTRACES Science Steering Committee (SSC).

The initiative, which Kadko will lead, will include scientists from several nations, who will work to sample the Arctic Ocean using icebreakers that are expected to initially be provided by the United States and Germany.

These samples will be used to study how the carbon levels, geochemical cycles, and ecosystems in the Arctic will respond to rapidly changing climate conditions.

“Significantly, the data we gather will help us to model feedback mechanisms and future trajectories of Arctic change we may face with ongoing shifts in climate that may impact us, regardless of whether we live near the Arctic or as far away as Miami,” said Kadko, a professor and the chair of marine and atmospheric chemistry at UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

According to Kadko, the expedition will be the first of its size  to conduct coordinated experiments in the Arctic Ocean.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...