Professor to lead Arctic expedition

University of Miami professor David Kadko has been selected to head an expedition in the Arctic Ocean that could lead to a better understanding of the effects of global climate change.

The expedition, which is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2015, is a U.S. Arctic GEOTRACES initiative established by the U.S. GEOTRACES Science Steering Committee (SSC).

The initiative, which Kadko will lead, will include scientists from several nations, who will work to sample the Arctic Ocean using icebreakers that are expected to initially be provided by the United States and Germany.

These samples will be used to study how the carbon levels, geochemical cycles, and ecosystems in the Arctic will respond to rapidly changing climate conditions.

“Significantly, the data we gather will help us to model feedback mechanisms and future trajectories of Arctic change we may face with ongoing shifts in climate that may impact us, regardless of whether we live near the Arctic or as far away as Miami,” said Kadko, a professor and the chair of marine and atmospheric chemistry at UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

According to Kadko, the expedition will be the first of its size  to conduct coordinated experiments in the Arctic Ocean.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...