Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis defeats University of Maryland

Ranked fifth in the country and perfect in the ACC, the ‘Canes just keep on winning.

Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, recently inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame, has established a team that is truly a force to be reckoned with.

The No. 5 University of Miami women’s tennis team captured their thirteenth straight win 5-2 over No. 69 University of Maryland to maintain their perfect 6-0 record in the ACC.

“We try not to think about number 5 for us, its just a number, every match we have to come out with the same focus, every team is good,” said sophomore Brittany Dubins. “For us it’s about coming out and giving 100 percent every match.”

The ‘Canes swept the doubles with wins from No. 24 doubles pair, sophomore Melissa Bolivar and freshman Liat Zimmerman, No. 37 pair, senior Gabriela Mejia and freshman Lina Lileikite, and third pair, senior Anna Bartenstein and sophomore Brittany Dubins.
UM kept the momentum with quick, straight set wins from Mejia (6-1, 6-2), Dubins (6-0, 6-1) and Lileikite (6-3, 6-4).

Freshman Liat Zimmerman fought back from a 4-6 loss in her first set against Maryland’s Mikele Irazusta to win her single’s match 10-3 in a third set tiebreaker.

The Terrapins notched their first point of the day when fourth singles player Bolivar retired from her match against Maryland’s Welma Luus by injury default.

Maryland secured their second and final point with a hard fought battle between the first singles matchup of No. 18 Bartenstein and Maryland’s Cristina Stancu, ranked 31st nationally.

Dubins, a sophomore from North Miami, Fla. emphasized the importance of keeping thing simple whether the match is quick or difficult.

“You just have to stay with the same mentality, nothing really changes, don’t over think, just keeping the way you’ve been playing,” said Dubins.

Even with such celebrated success in the ACC, the ‘Canes still strive for better. Lileikite, No. 111 and two-time Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Week, was disappointed with her play.

“We just need to work really hard, in practice we have to concentrate the same as in a match,” said Lileikite. “Whenever I play bad, I need to stay calm, only then can you find your shots.”

The Hurricanes take on Fresno State on Wednesday at 1:30pm at home in Coral Gables.

Kristen Spillane

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...