Sports Briefs 4/2

Football

Following the two  scrimmages that have been open to the public, the football team will hold its last open session of the spring with the spring game on April 14. The event will be held at Sun Life Stadium beginning at 2 p.m., although stadium gates will open at 11:30 a.m. The event is free to the public and there will be no charge for parking at the stadium. The event will also feature an autograph session and opportunities to purchase season tickets for the 2012 season.

Baseball

The Hurricanes were able to take advantage of a three-run seventh inning to take Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Clemson Tigers 4-2, but it was not enough to win what would have been their fourth consecutive ACC series in a row to start conference play. On Sunday, Steven Ewing gave up one run while striking out five in 5 2/3 innings pitched en route to a non-decision. After Clemson took the 2-1 lead, a Dale Carey double and Stephen Perez triple in the seventh gave Miami their first lead of the weekend. After E.J. Encinosa walked two in the eighth, Eric Nedeljkovic came in relief to finish the final two innings, picking up the save in the process.

On Friday night, the offense struggled against the Tigers, recording only one run on four hits while striking out 13 times in a 3-1 loss. The Tigers scored quickly in the first, and after Jarred Mederos was able to drive in Esteban Tresgallo in the second inning to tie things up at 1-1, the offense could not muster any runs.

Saturday was much of the same for Miami, with Clemson getting off to a quick start once again and the Canes unable to muster enough offense to fight back in a 3-1 loss that also featured three errors by UM.

Miami will return to Coral Gables to take on the No.19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. The Canes traveled up to Orlando earlier this year, where they escaped with a 3-2 win. They will then take on the No.4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels over the weekend. Each game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...