Distance shouldn’t hinder assistance

I was on Tumblr one evening and a post from a blog I follow caught my attention. The title of the post read, “Urgent Prayer Request,” and the content was upsetting.

The person that I follow is a Christian who lives in the Middle East. Over there, many people are trying to drive all Christians out of the area and make Islam the only religion that can be practiced. While Islam is prevelent in that part of the world, there is no reason that both religions shouldn’t be able to co-exisit.

Churches are being attacked and threatened in order to discourage their memebers from attending services. Many churches have either been banned, postponed, or driven under ground. Fellowshipping with other Christians is an important part of growing in their faith because it allows individuals to learn while helping as well. When a church is destroyed and divided, it becomes harder for people to keep their faith strong and alive. It also becomes harder to get the word out to the rest of the world about what is happening

Daniel Pipes, president of the Middle East Forum, said that the Islamic persecution of religious minorities is accuring charecteristics that are almost genocidal in one of his speeches. In the Bible, verse 5:10 of the book of Matthew says, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” However, when you are in the middle of a crisis as Christians in the Middle East currently are, verses such as that one may not be at the forefront of ones mind.

Individuals need to step up and help those currently undergoing persecution. Location shouldn’t stop us from helping other human beings in their time of need.