Distance shouldn’t hinder assistance

I was on Tumblr one evening and a post from a blog I follow caught my attention. The title of the post read, “Urgent Prayer Request,” and the content was upsetting.

The person that I follow is a Christian who lives in the Middle East. Over there, many people are trying to drive all Christians out of the area and make Islam the only religion that can be practiced. While Islam is prevelent in that part of the world, there is no reason that both religions shouldn’t be able to co-exisit.

Churches are being attacked and threatened in order to discourage their memebers from attending services. Many churches have either been banned, postponed, or driven under ground. Fellowshipping with other Christians is an important part of growing in their faith because it allows individuals to learn while helping as well. When a church is destroyed and divided, it becomes harder for people to keep their faith strong and alive. It also becomes harder to get the word out to the rest of the world about what is happening

Daniel Pipes, president of the Middle East Forum, said that the Islamic persecution of religious minorities is accuring charecteristics that are almost genocidal in one of his speeches. In the Bible, verse 5:10 of the book of Matthew says, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” However, when you are in the middle of a crisis as Christians in the Middle East currently are, verses such as that one may not be at the forefront of ones mind.

Individuals need to step up and help those currently undergoing persecution. Location shouldn’t stop us from helping other human beings in their time of need.

Taylor Duckett

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...