Distance shouldn’t hinder assistance

I was on Tumblr one evening and a post from a blog I follow caught my attention. The title of the post read, “Urgent Prayer Request,” and the content was upsetting.

The person that I follow is a Christian who lives in the Middle East. Over there, many people are trying to drive all Christians out of the area and make Islam the only religion that can be practiced. While Islam is prevelent in that part of the world, there is no reason that both religions shouldn’t be able to co-exisit.

Churches are being attacked and threatened in order to discourage their memebers from attending services. Many churches have either been banned, postponed, or driven under ground. Fellowshipping with other Christians is an important part of growing in their faith because it allows individuals to learn while helping as well. When a church is destroyed and divided, it becomes harder for people to keep their faith strong and alive. It also becomes harder to get the word out to the rest of the world about what is happening

Daniel Pipes, president of the Middle East Forum, said that the Islamic persecution of religious minorities is accuring charecteristics that are almost genocidal in one of his speeches. In the Bible, verse 5:10 of the book of Matthew says, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” However, when you are in the middle of a crisis as Christians in the Middle East currently are, verses such as that one may not be at the forefront of ones mind.

Individuals need to step up and help those currently undergoing persecution. Location shouldn’t stop us from helping other human beings in their time of need.

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...