4/2 News Briefs

Edible Books

The UM Libraries third annual Edible Books Festival will be held on Monday from noon to 2 p.m. at the Richter Library lobby. Participants will submit entries that relate to books and reading, and must be edible. After the judging, participants and viewers will be able to eat the creations. There will be prizes for “Wittiest Pun,” “Most Edible” and “Best in Show.” For more information, call head of special collections Cristina Favretto at 305-284-3247 or email um.ediblebooks@gmail.com.

Guest Lecture

On Tuesday, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Merrick Building room 210-01, the College of Arts and Sciences and the department of modern languages and literatures will present a lecture by Eric Kligerman, an associate professor of German and Jewish studies at the University of Florida. He will discuss the cinematic representations of the Holocaust set in German-occupied France in Quentin Tarantino’s “Inglourious Basterds” and Marcel Ophuls’s “The Sorrow and the Pity.” For more information, call Mary Mezzano at 305-284-5585 or email her at m.mezzano@miami.edu.

Passes

There is still time to purchase a yoga or studio cycling pass at the Wellness Center on Tuesday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. These passes for the spring semester are priced at $30 for student members and $48 for non-student members. A semester pass allows members unlimited access to all the classes on the schedule. To purchase a pass, visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite located on the second floor of the Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-LIFE (5433).

Symposium

Dr. Neil Baldwin will speak at “One Writer’s Journey: From Small Press Poetry to E-Book Novel, with Many and Varied Stops Along the Way” on Thursday at the CAS Gallery/Wesley House. There will be a reception at 4:30 p.m. and the lecture will start at 5 p.m. Baldwin is an Emmy-nominated writer who has published three volumes of poetry, three textbooks, three biographies and has won several awards for his work. To RSVP, email provost@miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...