Student activist selected for national fellowship

For Moroccan-born activist Samia Taoulost-Malik, selflessness runs in the family.

The Taoulost family left Morocco when she was young because her brother was born with Down Syndrome.

“[People with] Down Syndrome are ostracized in Morocco due to a lack of education,” said Taoulost-Malik, who is pursing a master’s degree in international administration at UM.

Ever since, her mother’s bold decision has inspired Taoulost-Malik to give back to her community. She was recently named a StartingBloc fellow. StartingBloc is an organization that helps social entrepreneurs solve global problems. Taoulost is best known for her work as a program manager at ReServe Miami.

“I am always amazed how she takes her work in strides,” said Dacia Steiner, a program director at ReServe Miami.

ReServe Miami is a national program designed to match continuing professionals with non-profit organizations that are in need of their skills. Taoulost-Malik works with “ReServists,” or program participants, to help them apply their lifetime experience to an organization that needs their expertise while acting as an asset to the community.

“I had one of the ReServists tell me that he was sitting at home waiting day after day to die,” she said. “I think ReServe gave him a purpose in his life knowing that he could contribute his skills made him feel productive.”

After she graduates, Taoulost-Malik hopes to help children with developmental disabilities start businesses.

Editor’s note: This story was edited on March 30, 2:15 p.m.

Saira Sumbal

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...