School of Communication’s Faculty Senate removes second major requirement

School of Communication students will no longer have to complete a second major in order to graduate.

Instead, undergraduates will have several options. Those who choose not to complete a second major must complete a minor, either at the SoC or at another school or college.

The students who choose to complete a minor within the SoC  must choose one outside of their major areas.

Students will still be able to complete a second major if they want and will not have to complete a minor if they do so.

Eva Alonso, the director of academic advising at the SoC, has noticed that about 75 percent of the students she advises have decided to complete their second majors.

“Reactions have been positive,” she said. “I haven’t really gotten any negative feedback.”

According to Sigman Splichal, an associate professor for journalism, most communication schools do not require a second major.

However, he does encourage students to pursue a second major because it will force them to “analyze and think critically.”

Sophomore Ally Levy previously had four majors – biology, marine science, motion pictures, and broadcast journalism. Now, she plans to turn her motion pictures major into a minor.

“I’m super excited,” she said. “This change makes my schedule less hectic. I can also graduate on time. With a minor within the comm school, I still have a background in the subject but take less credits.”

Senior Neil Gershon does not “have any hard feelings.”

“The requirement made me try art, and it helped me develop my creativity for motion pictures,” said Gershon, who is majoring in motion pictures.

However, public relations major Molly Coller would not have completed her second major in psychology.

“I was stuck with a major I didn’t love,” she said. “I would have liked to minor in motion pictures to get into event planning for film.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...