UM memes a medium for shared student experiences

Not only can you stalk people, keep in touch with friends, post videos and play games, but you can also read memes on Facebook.

Not just any memes, but UM memes.

College memes parody ideas via images and text. There are various memes on websites like memebase.com and 9gag.com. I love memes and I love UM. Therefore, this UM Memes Facebook page is pretty exciting for me.

I’ve seen extremely funny and entertaining ones such as the “success kid,” “terrible teacher” and “uber frosh” memes. Then there is the “gets on a machine in the Wellness Center … last person was weaker than me”-type meme.

However, I’ve also seen many that can be very insulting to some groups of people. For example, anything using the “high expectations Asian dad” or “ordinary Muslim man” is probably going to reinforce some kind of racial stereotype.

Currently 1,462 people like it and 1,051 people are talking about the Facebook group. It’s creating a lot of buzz. Its popularity is definitely spreading through social networks.

I feel that its success can be attributed to two main factors: UM students can relate to memes and we can contribute to them. We know what it’s like not being able to connect to Wireless Canes, not having our passwords saved on Blackboard and eating at Chartwells.

We can use our creativity and humor to connect through a website as a student body.

Michelle Lock is a freshman majoring in public relations.

Michelle Lock

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...