Q&A: Laura of Miami

WVUM’s Laura of Miami, a master’s student, DJed at Ultra on Saturday. The Miami Hurricane chatted via email with the local musical trendsetter, whose real name is Laura Sutnick, about her Ultra experience.

The Miami Hurricane: What’s your favorite part about being a DJ?

Laura Sutnick: I like to compare DJing to delivering flowers or serving ice cream. It’s about making people on the other side of the DJ booth happy. I like to introduce people to new music, make them dance, and I’m really big on developing Miami’s music scene.

TMH: What’s it like performing at Ultra?

lS: It’s great! Being on a bill with such top-notch talent is an honor. You get to play on an awesome system, a cool stage, and to very enthusiastic people.

TMH: What artists do you look up to?

lS: I love Todd Terje, who I actually booked for a May show at the Electric Pickle. I’m also a huge Kraftwerk fan, so seeing them this weekend was a treat. Grace Jones is one of my all-time favorites as well.

TMH: What DJs did you check out at Ultra?

lS: I was more into the live acts at Ultra this year: Kraftwerk, New Order, Metronomy, Little Dragon, and M83.

TMH: What’s been your biggest challenge as a DJ?

LS: I tend to play very new or obscure music. Generally Miamians are very caught up in mainstream music and hip-hop and it’s difficult to find crowds to open their minds to something they’ve never heard. If you want really great paying gigs, you normally have to sell out and play top 40 stuff, which I refuse to do.

TMH: What do you hope to do after graduation?

LS: I’ll be working hard bringing more acts to Miami through my company Nightdrive. We’re also working on launching a label and expanding our music blog nightdrivemiami.com, which is currently rated a top 100 music blog in the US.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...