3/26 News Briefs

Education Forum

The School of Education, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, will host a discussion about the consequences, challenges and ethics of current school reform on March 30 at the Storer Auditorium from 8 a.m. to noon. The keynote speaker will be Alfie Kohn, a noted writer and speaker on human behavior, education and parenting. He will be joined by MDCPS assistant superintendents Maria de Armas and Nikolai Vitti and UM Education Assistant Professor Wendy Morrison-Cavendish. The forum is free and open to the public. To RSVP, contact Laurie McDonald at 305-284-6119 or at lmcdonald@miami.edu.

UHack

UM’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) chapters will run the first student-led “hackathon” called UHack. UHack is a 48-hour programming event that will be held Saturday to Sunday. Students can work with a group or on their own to create a mobile or web app with innovative technologies. Presented by the company Twilio, the event is backed by Microsoft, eBay, GitHub, and more. Food will be provided, and prizes range from XBOX’s to MacBooks. For more information, visit uhack.us.

Physicist to Speak

Stanford Distinguished Professor Alan Lightman will present a lecture titled “At the Crossroads of Art & Science: The Physicist as Novelist” at the Storer Auditorium, Wednesday at 7 p.m.   As a recognized physicist and novelist, Lightman was the first professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology to receive a joint appointment in the humanities and sciences. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To register and for more information, visit humanities.miami.edu.

Citi CEO Talk

Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity, will host Alexander G. van Tienhoven, Citi’s CEO of Wealth and Investment Management (Latin American and Mexico) on March 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Whitten Learning Center room 120. He will speak about his experience and position in Citi. The lecture is followed by a Q&A session. For more information, visit bus.miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...