3/26 News Briefs

Education Forum

The School of Education, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, will host a discussion about the consequences, challenges and ethics of current school reform on March 30 at the Storer Auditorium from 8 a.m. to noon. The keynote speaker will be Alfie Kohn, a noted writer and speaker on human behavior, education and parenting. He will be joined by MDCPS assistant superintendents Maria de Armas and Nikolai Vitti and UM Education Assistant Professor Wendy Morrison-Cavendish. The forum is free and open to the public. To RSVP, contact Laurie McDonald at 305-284-6119 or at lmcdonald@miami.edu.

UHack

UM’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) chapters will run the first student-led “hackathon” called UHack. UHack is a 48-hour programming event that will be held Saturday to Sunday. Students can work with a group or on their own to create a mobile or web app with innovative technologies. Presented by the company Twilio, the event is backed by Microsoft, eBay, GitHub, and more. Food will be provided, and prizes range from XBOX’s to MacBooks. For more information, visit uhack.us.

Physicist to Speak

Stanford Distinguished Professor Alan Lightman will present a lecture titled “At the Crossroads of Art & Science: The Physicist as Novelist” at the Storer Auditorium, Wednesday at 7 p.m.   As a recognized physicist and novelist, Lightman was the first professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology to receive a joint appointment in the humanities and sciences. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To register and for more information, visit humanities.miami.edu.

Citi CEO Talk

Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity, will host Alexander G. van Tienhoven, Citi’s CEO of Wealth and Investment Management (Latin American and Mexico) on March 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Whitten Learning Center room 120. He will speak about his experience and position in Citi. The lecture is followed by a Q&A session. For more information, visit bus.miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...