3/26 News Briefs

Education Forum

The School of Education, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, will host a discussion about the consequences, challenges and ethics of current school reform on March 30 at the Storer Auditorium from 8 a.m. to noon. The keynote speaker will be Alfie Kohn, a noted writer and speaker on human behavior, education and parenting. He will be joined by MDCPS assistant superintendents Maria de Armas and Nikolai Vitti and UM Education Assistant Professor Wendy Morrison-Cavendish. The forum is free and open to the public. To RSVP, contact Laurie McDonald at 305-284-6119 or at lmcdonald@miami.edu.

UHack

UM’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) chapters will run the first student-led “hackathon” called UHack. UHack is a 48-hour programming event that will be held Saturday to Sunday. Students can work with a group or on their own to create a mobile or web app with innovative technologies. Presented by the company Twilio, the event is backed by Microsoft, eBay, GitHub, and more. Food will be provided, and prizes range from XBOX’s to MacBooks. For more information, visit uhack.us.

Physicist to Speak

Stanford Distinguished Professor Alan Lightman will present a lecture titled “At the Crossroads of Art & Science: The Physicist as Novelist” at the Storer Auditorium, Wednesday at 7 p.m.   As a recognized physicist and novelist, Lightman was the first professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology to receive a joint appointment in the humanities and sciences. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To register and for more information, visit humanities.miami.edu.

Citi CEO Talk

Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity, will host Alexander G. van Tienhoven, Citi’s CEO of Wealth and Investment Management (Latin American and Mexico) on March 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Whitten Learning Center room 120. He will speak about his experience and position in Citi. The lecture is followed by a Q&A session. For more information, visit bus.miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.