Sports, Tennis

No.6 Canes defeat Yellow Jackets 5-2

Returning home to Coral Gables, the No. 6 Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team defeated the No. 21 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Wednesday by a score of 5-2.

Despite a strong doubles victory of first pair sophomore Melissa Bolivar and freshman Liat Zimmerman, the ‘Canes dropped the doubles point to Georgia Tech and gave the Yellow Jackets an early 1-0 lead in the match.

UM came back strong in singles play with five victorious finishes. Senior Gabriella Mejia, 32nd-ranked and recently named Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Week, secured the first singles victory for the ‘Canes (6-3, 6-1) over Georgia Tech’s Elizabeth Kilborn. Mejia’s teammates followed suit shortly after with wins from No. 20 senior Anna Bartenstein, No. 99 freshman Lina Lileikite, Bolivar and Zimmerman.

The pair of Bolivar and Zimmerman is currently ranked 28th nationally and have enjoyed success throughout the season, both in doubles and in individual matches.

“We get along very well and just focusing on little details like making the returns, the first serves in, the basic stuff that makes our doubles a little more simple,”Bolivar said. “It’s also about getting the energy going, keeping it up, and being positive every time.”

Zimmerman echoed her partner’s sentiments.

“From the first match we played together the communication was good between us,” said Zimmerman.

Bolivar and Zimmerman both agreed that the energy of doubles play has a definite impact on individual singles matches.

“When we have a good day in doubles, we try to carry it on,” Bolivar said. “It’s important to have a short memory after the doubles, if you beat a good couple, whatever, the match is not over, you still have a match to go. I think keeping the focus on is what gets us going.”

The Hurricane’s victory marks their tenth straight, and the ninth over nationally-ranked opponents, improving their ACC record to 4-0.

The team travels to North Carolina this weekend for upcoming matches against Wake Forest and NC State.

Kristen Spillane

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...