Musical numbers capture essence of the characters, plot

The most recent production at Actors’ Playhouse has a little something for everyone.

“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’s” talented cast tells a Biblical story through various styles of choreography and genres of music. Told by a narrator, the musical is based on a story from the Book of Genesis about Jacob and his 12 sons, including Joseph.

Jealous of the attention their father gives to Joseph, his 11 brothers sell him to Ishmaelites as a slave. While the brothers celebrate his absence, Joseph climbs the hierarchical ladder until he’s second only to Egypt’s pharaoh.

The musical effectively manages to tell the uplifting story through song without any spoken dialogue. Ranging from country to calypso, the numbers keep the audience entertained.

The songs effortlessly capture the characters’ emotions and the narrative. Other catchy tunes, like “Those Canaan Days” and “Benjamin Calypso,” add humor to the musical, especially Pharaoh’s impersonation of Elvis Presley.

Not only do the cast members shine with their vocals, but also through the intricate choreography. The actors spent a lot of time rehearsing in the theater to perfect the musical numbers.

“Once we got to tech, we were there usually about 12 hours a day,” said Nick Duckart, who plays Pharaoh. “We were rehearsing the show during the day and then performing the show at night. So we were in the theater pretty much all the time.”

While the performance highlights the cast members’ abilities, their chemistry truly engages the audience.

“We have an amazing team assembled for this show,” said Josh Canfield, who plays Joseph. “I think the energy that we all give it really comes through to the audience. It makes the audience have more fun because everyone is so talented that they’re loving the parts that they bring to it.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...