Sports Briefs 3-5

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes went into the ACC Tournament on Friday evening looking to ride the momentum generated from their season-ending victory against Boston College. Instead, Wake Forest came away with the upset win over Miami, 81-74 at the Greensboro Coliseum. Senior Riquna Williams scored 22 points and Shenise Johnson and Stefanie Yderstrom added 18 apiece, but the Canes were unable to overcome a slow first half. Miami erupted for 51 points in the second half, but the Demon Deacons survived the surge.  The loss followed an upset win for N.C. State, which defeated the No. 1 seed Duke Blue Devils 75-73 early Friday afternoon. Miami awaits its NCAA tournament seeding, which should be released early next week.

Track and Field

Freshman Innocent Jacob and junior Samantha Williams competed in the Virginia Tech Last Chance Qualifier Meet a week before the NCAA Indoor Championships will take place. Williams finished in the top five in the triple jump and Williams finished 10th in the long jump, as both women wait to find out whether they will qualify to compete for the national championship. They will learn their fates on Monday afternoon.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...