Sports Briefs 3-5

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes went into the ACC Tournament on Friday evening looking to ride the momentum generated from their season-ending victory against Boston College. Instead, Wake Forest came away with the upset win over Miami, 81-74 at the Greensboro Coliseum. Senior Riquna Williams scored 22 points and Shenise Johnson and Stefanie Yderstrom added 18 apiece, but the Canes were unable to overcome a slow first half. Miami erupted for 51 points in the second half, but the Demon Deacons survived the surge.  The loss followed an upset win for N.C. State, which defeated the No. 1 seed Duke Blue Devils 75-73 early Friday afternoon. Miami awaits its NCAA tournament seeding, which should be released early next week.

Track and Field

Freshman Innocent Jacob and junior Samantha Williams competed in the Virginia Tech Last Chance Qualifier Meet a week before the NCAA Indoor Championships will take place. Williams finished in the top five in the triple jump and Williams finished 10th in the long jump, as both women wait to find out whether they will qualify to compete for the national championship. They will learn their fates on Monday afternoon.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...