Sports Briefs 3-5

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes went into the ACC Tournament on Friday evening looking to ride the momentum generated from their season-ending victory against Boston College. Instead, Wake Forest came away with the upset win over Miami, 81-74 at the Greensboro Coliseum. Senior Riquna Williams scored 22 points and Shenise Johnson and Stefanie Yderstrom added 18 apiece, but the Canes were unable to overcome a slow first half. Miami erupted for 51 points in the second half, but the Demon Deacons survived the surge.  The loss followed an upset win for N.C. State, which defeated the No. 1 seed Duke Blue Devils 75-73 early Friday afternoon. Miami awaits its NCAA tournament seeding, which should be released early next week.

Track and Field

Freshman Innocent Jacob and junior Samantha Williams competed in the Virginia Tech Last Chance Qualifier Meet a week before the NCAA Indoor Championships will take place. Williams finished in the top five in the triple jump and Williams finished 10th in the long jump, as both women wait to find out whether they will qualify to compete for the national championship. They will learn their fates on Monday afternoon.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...