Ethics film series to conclude with ‘Margin Call’

The University of Miami Ethics Program will conclude it seventh annual “Ethics in Film” series with the film “Margin Call,” a thrilling tale of the financial crisis that struck the United States in recent years.

The film series was created by Anita Cava, co-director of the ethics program.  She said she created the film series in an attempt to find a more interesting and appealing alternative to traditional speakers. The movies have become a “labor of love,” she said.

“Today’s audiences are very visually orientated, and I think it’s a great way to have a conversation about difficult issues that we are confronting today,” Cava said.

“Margin Call” is being shown at 6:15 p.m. on March 7 at the Cosford Cinema. It stars Demi Moore and Kevin Spacey, recaps a 36-hour period at a large investment bank during the financial crisis of 2007-2008 on Wall Street. The film deals with the decisions and actions of the employees as they were caught up in the moment of the financial collapse.

Admission is free to the public and includes complimentary popcorn and candy. Following the film, there will be a speaker to facilitate a discussion about the film.

“The Ethics in Film series is one of the few events that brings non-blockbuster films to a wider audience,” said Imri Yekutiel, chair of the University of Miami’s chapter of Amnesty International.

Yekutiel and his organization played a major role in promoting the second film in the series, “Blood Coltan,” which was played of Feb. 28 and deals with environmental waste issues related to the widely unknown mineral coltan. The first film, “Made in India,” was previously shown on Feb. 13 and dealt with the ethical dilemma of American couples outsourcing surrogacy to India.

Daniel Pyser

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...