Campus dance groups feature unique styles

Eduardo Lamas-Basulto and Lisset Avila of Salsa Craze, Emily Brunden of KAOS and Amber Dawn of Miami Ballroom show off their moves by Lake Osceola. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

On Saturday, two of UM’s top dance groups strutted their stuff at their annual performances.

The Indian Student Association hosted their fifth annual Miami Mayhem dance competition, which featured Garba/Rass dance teams from across the nation. The same evening, Miami Ballroom hosted their second annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars, which brought together UM “celebrities” from Sebastian the Ibis to SG President Brandon Mitchell to dance from the trophy.

UM is home to multiple dance groups, each with a unique style. Here is a look at five of these groups.

KAOS

KAOS, the university’s only co-ed hip-hop dance group, is shattering the concept that hip-hop requires baggy clothes, hulking muscles and a tough demeanor.

The 17-member group meets twice a week for two hours to go over routines, learn new choreography by their own team members and also prepare innovative pieces for their semester showcase. In the past, KAOS has featured the burlesque style and lap dances, an audience favorite, in their performances.

“While hip-hop is our predominate style we also have many dancers whose strengths lie in contemporary or lyrical,” KAOS President Julianne Byun said. “Everyone on the team has their own niche, so while we stay true to our roots we do a lot of incorporating in our routines.”

Miami Ballroom

The waltz and foxtrot are no longer just something your grandparents dance.

Miami Ballroom offers classes in two categories of dance, standard and Latin. The standard dances include the waltz, tango and the foxtrot and the Latin dances include the cha-cha, samba and rumba.

Within Miami Ballroom there is a competition and performance team, which has 15 members, and a club, which has about 50-60 members of students, faculty and Miami locals, according to President Kathleen Munley.

“People usually prefer Latin because it’s more fun and upbeat,” Munley said. “Standard is what people see as more ‘old people’ dancing. We did a modern twist and performed ballroom to the song ‘Cooler than Me’ to show people ballroom is cool.”

Once a month, club members are given an opportunity to show off their skills at a social. It gives them the opportunity to practice the steps and moves they have learned.

SwaggeRaas

This weekend’s Miami Mayhem was hosted by UM’s Hurricane SwaggeRaas dance team.

SwaggeRaas’ routines feature Garba/Raas, a high-energy, Indian dance rooted in ethnic folk dances from the Indian state of Gujarat.

“It’s time-consuming, but it’s worth it,” said freshman Puja Patel, who is a member of SwaggeRaas and performed in Mayhem.

Garba is primarily a solo dance performed in a circular fashion while Raas is done in pairs using a stick called a dandia.

SwaggeRaas is one of ISA’s three dance groups: Hurricane Bhangra showcases traditional folk dances from the Indian state of Punjab; UMiami Thaalam, or UFusion, is ISA’s all-girls dance team that combines traditional Indian dances with hip-hop dance moves.

Miami Motion 

The girls of Miami Motion like to turn, kick and leap their way into the hearts of students by performing at on-campus events.

The all-girl jazz and lyrical dance team is a group of “friends who come together to dance,” according to Miami Motion President Joanie Oben.

Miami Motion has gone from a group of 10 to 15 dancers to a strong team of around 25 since its formation five years ago. With more girls auditioning, the process has become very selective, sophomore Chrissy Houston said.

The group has also worked their way up to performing at three to four events each semester.

“Our goal right now is to keep growing our presence at school,” Oben said.

When Miami Motion performs at pep rallies, they use high-energy dances to get the crowd excited. Their jazz technique is peppy, like something out of a music video, Oben said.

The girls performed a song from the movie “Burlesque” at a Greek Week event last Friday night. Freshman Taylor Burnbaum, a new member, said they wanted to “liven up the crowd” with their “sassy” style.

Salsa Craze 

Every Wednesday night, Salsa Craze offers a fun, party-like environment for the UM and Miami communities to learn how to dance salsa.

“It is a big family, everyone is very welcoming and if you love it, you’re just drawn into in and everybody accepts you,” said Salsa Craze President Dagmara Danek.

At the beginning of each lesson, dancers are split up into different groups based on their level. There are four different levels: beginner, intermediate, advanced, and masters.

“Regardless of how I feel starting class, I always end up with a smile on my face,” said sophomore Adrian Lugo.

After dancers have mastered a certain set of moves, the instructors can promote them to the next level. Students who reach the master level can also train to become instructors.

Story compiled by Isabel Brador, Ashley Martinez, Alexander Gonzalez, Lyssa Goldberg and Daniel Cepero.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Daniel Cepero

Multimedia Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...