Studio jazz band transforms favorite Radiohead tunes

Neil Carson plays the alto sax during 2+2=5, arranged by Florian Ross during Radiohead Jazz Project on Wednesday night. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

With bright trombones, crooning saxophones and an upbeat piano, the students musicians of the Frost School of Music’s studio jazz band blended Sinatra with modern alternative rock at their Radiohead Jazz Project performance Wednesday.

The project, which was first recorded in Wisconsin in 2010 by Fred Sturm’s Lawrence University Jazz Ensemble, transformed 12 popular Radiohead songs into jazzy arrangements. Radiohead is a Grammy-award winning British band that is currently on Rolling Stone’s list of“The Greatest Artists of All Time.”

Songs performed Wednesday by the jazz band included “Paranoid Android,” “2+2=5” and “Idioteque.”

“It’s not your normal big band music,” said studio jazz band Director Stephen Guerra, who said Sturm was his mentor. “There are no conventions in it. It’s all new music and it’s really good because it really pushes the limit.”

Both Daniel Cavanagh and James Miley, who were a part of arranging the music for the Radiohead project, attended on Wednesday. They also conducted the songs they were involved in arranging.

“The jazz band is very strong, so to come in here and see performers of this caliber is a treat,” Cavanagh said.

The studio jazz band is just one of three jazz big bands at the Frost School of Music. It is the second-tier ensemble; the XJB is the first-level band and the concert jazz band is the highest level.

All of Frost’s jazz bands are constantly at work, either recording albums or performing in the community. Recently the concert jazz band performed at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival with Grammy award-winning flautist Nestor Torres.

Sophomore Neil Carson, a jazz saxophone major, played a number of solos Wednesday on his alto saxophone. His favorite part about being involved in the studio jazz band is performing.

“There’s just this adrenaline rush and the suspense of if we’re going to nail our parts and if everything going to turn out right,” said Carson who was in the XJB last year. “And it definitely did this time.”

Auditions for the XJB band is open to students of all majors. Musicians can move up in jazz band levels through auditions at the beginning of every fall semester.

Although this was the studio jazz band’s last major performance of the semester, the concert jazz band will perform March 23, as they take their audience back to the swing era.

Amilynn Soto contributed to this report.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...