Studio jazz band transforms favorite Radiohead tunes

Neil Carson plays the alto sax during 2+2=5, arranged by Florian Ross during Radiohead Jazz Project on Wednesday night. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

With bright trombones, crooning saxophones and an upbeat piano, the students musicians of the Frost School of Music’s studio jazz band blended Sinatra with modern alternative rock at their Radiohead Jazz Project performance Wednesday.

The project, which was first recorded in Wisconsin in 2010 by Fred Sturm’s Lawrence University Jazz Ensemble, transformed 12 popular Radiohead songs into jazzy arrangements. Radiohead is a Grammy-award winning British band that is currently on Rolling Stone’s list of“The Greatest Artists of All Time.”

Songs performed Wednesday by the jazz band included “Paranoid Android,” “2+2=5” and “Idioteque.”

“It’s not your normal big band music,” said studio jazz band Director Stephen Guerra, who said Sturm was his mentor. “There are no conventions in it. It’s all new music and it’s really good because it really pushes the limit.”

Both Daniel Cavanagh and James Miley, who were a part of arranging the music for the Radiohead project, attended on Wednesday. They also conducted the songs they were involved in arranging.

“The jazz band is very strong, so to come in here and see performers of this caliber is a treat,” Cavanagh said.

The studio jazz band is just one of three jazz big bands at the Frost School of Music. It is the second-tier ensemble; the XJB is the first-level band and the concert jazz band is the highest level.

All of Frost’s jazz bands are constantly at work, either recording albums or performing in the community. Recently the concert jazz band performed at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival with Grammy award-winning flautist Nestor Torres.

Sophomore Neil Carson, a jazz saxophone major, played a number of solos Wednesday on his alto saxophone. His favorite part about being involved in the studio jazz band is performing.

“There’s just this adrenaline rush and the suspense of if we’re going to nail our parts and if everything going to turn out right,” said Carson who was in the XJB last year. “And it definitely did this time.”

Auditions for the XJB band is open to students of all majors. Musicians can move up in jazz band levels through auditions at the beginning of every fall semester.

Although this was the studio jazz band’s last major performance of the semester, the concert jazz band will perform March 23, as they take their audience back to the swing era.

Amilynn Soto contributed to this report.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...