Miami Ballroom hosts Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Miami Ballroom, a latin and ballroom dance organization, is hosting its second annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars competition this Saturday at 7 p.m. at the UC Patio. The stars include SG President Brandon Mitchell and Kaos President Julianne Byun.

“They’ve been practicing for weeks,” said Tayler White, the public relations chair. “It’s all in the spirit of fun. The day of the show we’ll have professional judges to critique, but in the end it’s a showcase, and the audience will determine the overall winner.”

Shannon Bartlett, president of Hurricane Productions, said she is excited and nervous as she prepares for the big event.

“I’ve danced a little before, never ballroom dancing, but practices are always fun and I love learning all the new steps and moves. I’m nervous to dance in heels, but I can’t wait for all my friends to see all the work we’ve been putting into the event,” she said.

Miami Ballroom President Victoria Humphrey, who is Miss UM 2011, is also anticipating the big night.

“I really look forward to going to practice each week and having this unique opportunity to develop new and unique skills, my talent for the pageant was a jazz dance, but I have never had the opportunity to ballroom dance before,” she said. “I’m excited to showcase all my hard work.”

Miami Ballroom also offers weekly dance lessons to anyone who wishes to participate. White says the experience is rewarding and encourages students to give it a try.

“We welcome all different skill levels and styles, from beginner to advanced dancers, latin or standard, and it’s never too late to join,” she said.

Students can participate in lessons on a walk-in basis and all lessons are free.

So far the organization has 65 active members and it is steadily growing. Last years’ Dancing with the UMiami Stars was the biggest event put on by a student organization.

Laura Morcate

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...