Miami Ballroom hosts Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Miami Ballroom, a latin and ballroom dance organization, is hosting its second annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars competition this Saturday at 7 p.m. at the UC Patio. The stars include SG President Brandon Mitchell and Kaos President Julianne Byun.

“They’ve been practicing for weeks,” said Tayler White, the public relations chair. “It’s all in the spirit of fun. The day of the show we’ll have professional judges to critique, but in the end it’s a showcase, and the audience will determine the overall winner.”

Shannon Bartlett, president of Hurricane Productions, said she is excited and nervous as she prepares for the big event.

“I’ve danced a little before, never ballroom dancing, but practices are always fun and I love learning all the new steps and moves. I’m nervous to dance in heels, but I can’t wait for all my friends to see all the work we’ve been putting into the event,” she said.

Miami Ballroom President Victoria Humphrey, who is Miss UM 2011, is also anticipating the big night.

“I really look forward to going to practice each week and having this unique opportunity to develop new and unique skills, my talent for the pageant was a jazz dance, but I have never had the opportunity to ballroom dance before,” she said. “I’m excited to showcase all my hard work.”

Miami Ballroom also offers weekly dance lessons to anyone who wishes to participate. White says the experience is rewarding and encourages students to give it a try.

“We welcome all different skill levels and styles, from beginner to advanced dancers, latin or standard, and it’s never too late to join,” she said.

Students can participate in lessons on a walk-in basis and all lessons are free.

So far the organization has 65 active members and it is steadily growing. Last years’ Dancing with the UMiami Stars was the biggest event put on by a student organization.

Laura Morcate

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...