Coping with the on-campus collisions

I am writing today to give a voice to all the victims of skateboard, longboard, headboard, bicycle, tricycle and unicycle collisions on campus. There have been too many fatalities from these atrocities on wheels and I am going to take a stand – that is until they ram into me again and send me flying into a macrame jewelry stand in the breezeway.

For too long, many have remained silent, living in fear that a skateboard decorated with a fluorescent Bart Simpson will impale them while they innocently walk through the motions of life. These murderers think they can avoid knocking over the 300 students in the two-inch wide pathways throughout campus. All it takes is one wrong judgment in the endless debate, “Should I move to the left or right to get out of the way?” All of a sudden, a student’s geology notes land by the Rock while one of his ribs swims in the lake.

Approximately 75 percent of UM students have been a victim of these wheeled life-enders, according to a study I conducted surveying the four friends I own. More than 100 percent of the victims felt both the emotional and physical repercussions of these accidents. Try and argue with hard evidence like that.

Some advocates of these killing devices contend that they are necessary in saving valuable time that can be otherwise spent on not getting to class. I get it. I constantly endure the fight for allegiance between my bed and going to class. My bed tells me to do things like wear the fifth grade field day shirt I wore to sleep and avoid putting on anything resembling makeup. We all do anything to get those extra 90 seconds of sleep. Together, we must ignore these demons.

Jackie Salo is a freshman studying journalism. 

Jackie Salo

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...