Coping with the on-campus collisions

I am writing today to give a voice to all the victims of skateboard, longboard, headboard, bicycle, tricycle and unicycle collisions on campus. There have been too many fatalities from these atrocities on wheels and I am going to take a stand – that is until they ram into me again and send me flying into a macrame jewelry stand in the breezeway.

For too long, many have remained silent, living in fear that a skateboard decorated with a fluorescent Bart Simpson will impale them while they innocently walk through the motions of life. These murderers think they can avoid knocking over the 300 students in the two-inch wide pathways throughout campus. All it takes is one wrong judgment in the endless debate, “Should I move to the left or right to get out of the way?” All of a sudden, a student’s geology notes land by the Rock while one of his ribs swims in the lake.

Approximately 75 percent of UM students have been a victim of these wheeled life-enders, according to a study I conducted surveying the four friends I own. More than 100 percent of the victims felt both the emotional and physical repercussions of these accidents. Try and argue with hard evidence like that.

Some advocates of these killing devices contend that they are necessary in saving valuable time that can be otherwise spent on not getting to class. I get it. I constantly endure the fight for allegiance between my bed and going to class. My bed tells me to do things like wear the fifth grade field day shirt I wore to sleep and avoid putting on anything resembling makeup. We all do anything to get those extra 90 seconds of sleep. Together, we must ignore these demons.

Jackie Salo is a freshman studying journalism. 

Jackie Salo

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...