Sports Briefs 2-27

Track & Field

The Track & Field team competed in the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships this past weekend, where the senior duo of Devon Hill and Tarika Williams both came away with silver medals for the Canes. Hill finished second in the 60-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 7.73 seconds, while Williams ran the 200-meter run in 23.61, good for second as well. The team is back in action next week for the Alex Wilson Invitational in Indianapolis while preparing for the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes men’s tennis team came away with their third consecutive win after overpowering the University of North Florida Ospreys on Sunday afternoon. Miami rode five wins in singles play to come away with the 5-2 win. The Canes will look to extend their winning streak when they host Florida State next Sunday beginning at 3:30 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Women’s Tennis

The No. 14 women’s tennis team proved to be too much against Florida State, defeating the Seminoles in Tallahassee on Sunday morning by a final score of 5-2. The Canes struck first by taking the doubles point before taking four of the six singles matches to guarantee the victory. Miami returns to Coral Gables next week for two of their next eight consecutive matches at home, hosting both North Florida and Clemson next weekend.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...