Jesus, religion should not be equal

There is a video called “Why I Hate Religion But Love Jesus” that has been trending on Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter for several weeks.

It has gotten people talking. Some love the video and feel that it hits the nail on the head, while others consider it to be way off.

The video is about a poem that spreads the message that Christianity is not supposed to be about religion, but rather about forming a personal relationship with Jesus. Some argue that, by definition, Christianity is a religion and the poet’s argument is false.

However, that is not what the poet means by religion. I think the point he was trying to make was that some churches have gotten caught up in doing things based on a ritual, like fasting during Lent. In the Bible, Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days during Lent. Fasting without a purpose is like giving something up for no reason.

Another issue that was discussed is that churches are focusing on the wrong things. Students who grew up in small churches could probably tell you more about the church drama than about the sermon. Churches shouldn’t be focusing on things such as what clothes you decide to wear or how your hair is styled during mass. Their main focus should be on God.

The poet isn’t saying that churches are bad or that you don’t need to go to church. Church is important because the pastor or minister of the church is there to help you understand God’s word and teach you.

The main point that I got from this video is that you shouldn’t let your focus shift from God to religion. Doing things a certain way because it is part of a religion won’t save you, but accepting and getting to know Jesus as your Lord and savior will.

Jesus is not equal to religion. He is greater.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...