Jesus, religion should not be equal

There is a video called “Why I Hate Religion But Love Jesus” that has been trending on Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter for several weeks.

It has gotten people talking. Some love the video and feel that it hits the nail on the head, while others consider it to be way off.

The video is about a poem that spreads the message that Christianity is not supposed to be about religion, but rather about forming a personal relationship with Jesus. Some argue that, by definition, Christianity is a religion and the poet’s argument is false.

However, that is not what the poet means by religion. I think the point he was trying to make was that some churches have gotten caught up in doing things based on a ritual, like fasting during Lent. In the Bible, Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days during Lent. Fasting without a purpose is like giving something up for no reason.

Another issue that was discussed is that churches are focusing on the wrong things. Students who grew up in small churches could probably tell you more about the church drama than about the sermon. Churches shouldn’t be focusing on things such as what clothes you decide to wear or how your hair is styled during mass. Their main focus should be on God.

The poet isn’t saying that churches are bad or that you don’t need to go to church. Church is important because the pastor or minister of the church is there to help you understand God’s word and teach you.

The main point that I got from this video is that you shouldn’t let your focus shift from God to religion. Doing things a certain way because it is part of a religion won’t save you, but accepting and getting to know Jesus as your Lord and savior will.

Jesus is not equal to religion. He is greater.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...