‘Inspired by U’ wins Student Government election

Surrounded by their "Inspired by U" supporters, the new SGA Vice President-elect and President-elect, Caitlin Giles and Nawara Alawa, cheer after their ticket was announced to have won the election. The results took place on the Rock at 12pm on Friday. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

In a close race, the “Inspired by U” ticket defeated “Think B.I.G.” and won all three positions on the Student Government executive board Friday afternoon.

Treasurer-elect Kenneth Esman and Vice President-elect Catilin Giles beat Ian Bai and Emily Stanch of “Think B.I.G.,”  respectively by 126 and 127 votes. President-elect Nawara Alawa beat Parket Barnett, the presidential candidate on “Think B.I.G.” by only 61 votes.

According to SG Press Secretary Mike Piacentino, there would have been a run-off election had Alawa received 19 less votes.

Barnett believes his ticket ran a “strong” campaign.

“I think there were two strong SG campaigns,” he said. “We had a small workforce, we focused on untraditional techniques, we wrote individual letters for sorority members, we handed out food and told students to come out and vote. The voting was close and they were both successful.”

With a win in hand, Alawa is proud of her “Inspired by U” ticket.

“I couldn’t have done it without my team,” she said.

The results were announced two days after both tickets were accused of allegedly violating election code regulations. A trial Thursday night found “Think B.I.G.” guilty of graphic campaigning in the University Center areas surrounding the polling booths. The ticket was given 18 points for the violation, which was combined with a previous violation to amount to a total of 19 points.

The accumulation of 20 points disqualifies any independent candidate, ticket or referendum, according to Associate Chief Justice Sean Norris of the SG Supreme Court.

“Inspired by U” was accused of allegedly using an office in the University Center, more specifically the Student Government office, as a campaign base. The ticket was found not guilty and no points were issued.

“If anything, the blip in the road, the trial, made our team stronger,” Alawa said. “Proving we were innocent showed we had a clean campaign. We knew exactly what we stood for, no matter which way the election went.”

Now, Alawa’s first step is to start preparing for next year.

“We want to make sure we’re transitioned right and that we’re well equipped to move forward for next year,” she said.

For more coverage of the SG election season, see past stories:

SG tickets head to trial for code violations, election results postponed

SG tickets remain in election race after undergoing code violation trials

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...